Incar Security Camera

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
For anyone who has one:

What did you use to record the video? I know that you can connect the AV reciever to a laptop via video output, but I would prefer not to have a laptop sitting in my car while its 105 degrees outside.. Any suggestions?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a jump drive maybe? ipod or other hd based mp3 player? external hd?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
whatever it is you do, go cheap

because all an in-car video camera will do is provide the theif with a video of himself that he can take home with the rest of your cars contents..... unless you have the picture being wirelessly trasmitted to an external storage device.... but that setup would be just rediculous and completely useless if the storage device is not in range

really, it's a horrible idea

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
whatever it is you do, go cheap

because all an in-car video camera will do is provide the theif with a video of himself that he can take home with the rest of your cars contents..... unless you have the picture being wirelessly trasmitted to an external storage device.... but that setup would be just rediculous and completely useless if the storage device is not in range

really, it's a horrible idea
Yeah, i definitely went cheap.. I got everything I need for ~$35..

And if the theif can get to the transmitter then he deserves the video honestly as well as a cookie .. I was thinking the same thing about the external storage. With it sitting in a parking lot pretty far from a building, there's not anywhere to put it really..

So if you think this is such a bad idea, do you have a better suggestion? Reason I ask is because I already get people looking at my car kinda sideways as it is now, and with every addition, I get more looks making parking my car in certain places (including work) rather uncomfortable.. At my job, ive know of atleast 5 EMPLOYEES that have gotten their car broken into, not even including customers. One guy got a rock through the window for <$5 in change sitting in his passenger seat. For these reasons I seriously find myself checking on my car every 2 hrs. And btw, alarms are completely useless when it comes to car theives..

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sodee said:
. And btw, alarms are completely useless when it comes to car theives..
Not necessarily. If you set up the alarm right they can be a great system. Multiple sirens to wake the dead. Every light flash option to make it look like the fourth of July. Piezo sirens inside to add that little bit of annoyance. And a proxy to make sure they dont get close. That coupled with a few other sensors work charms. Last month our alarm started fgoing nuts at 4 in the morning. With the headrest monitors, she is just begging to get broken into. Got up and went outside. Car was untouched. 2 cars in the other parking lot had broken windows.
Police wont do s**t even if you have video, get an alarm and plan on spending some money on it.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
snoopy316 said:
Not necessarily.
Heh, i meant ones that I could actually afford. :lol:
Yeah, ive seen some really serious alarms that do exactly what you're talking about but they cost an arm, leg and both testicles..