Influential Photography (some images may be disturbing)



T!mmy

New Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#1
I was curious to see some more photography that has some 'message' behind it...like the following:

U.S. Soldier being dragged through the streets
(maybe not so much a msg in this one as the next)


Starving girl with waiting buzzard



Anyways...lets see if we can get some photographs along these lines
 


joe7987

Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#2
what I wanna know is why somebody is taking pictures of the starving girl rather than buying her some food.
 

T!mmy

New Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#3
that was the big controversey....photographer committed suicide in the end...let me find the story
 


Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#4
i wish i wouldve got a pic of it today but i was too late. there was this lady drivin a hyundai..her liscens plate said...NE1BUTW that woman has some ballz! i liked it. it was her real liscence plate too.
 

T!mmy

New Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#5
In March 1993 Carter made a trip to southern Sudan with intentions of documenting the local rebel movement. However, upon arriving and witnessing the horror of the famine, Carter began to take photographs of starving victims. The sound of soft, high-pitched whimpering near the village of Ayod attracted Carter to a young emaciated Sudanese toddler. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to a feeding center, wherein a seemingly well-fed vulture had landed nearby. Carter snapped the haunting photograph and chased the vulture away. However, he also came under heavy criticism for just photographing — and not helping — the girl:

"The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene." [2]
The photograph was sold to The New York Times where it appeared for the first time on March 26, 1993. Practically overnight hundreds of people contacted the newspaper to ask whether the child had survived, leading the newspaper to run a special editor's note on the fate of the girl. On April 2, 1994 Nancy Buirski, a foreign New York Times picture editor, phoned Carter to inform him he had won the most coveted prize for photography. Carter was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography on May 23, 1994 at Columbia University's Low Memorial Library.

He later confided to friends that he wished he had intervened and helped the child. Journalists at the time were warned never to touch famine victims for fear of disease. This criticism and the death of a close friend, Ken Oosterbroek, who was shot and killed in Tokoza on April 18, 1994 while covering township violence, may have contributed to Carter's tragic suicide. On July 27, 1994 Carter drove to the Braamfonteinspruit river, near the Field and Study Center, an area he used to play at as a child, and took his own life by taping one end of a hose to his pickup truck’s exhaust pipe and running the other end to the passenger-side window. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 33. The last person to see Carter alive was Oosterbroek's widow, Monica. Portions of Carter's suicide note read:

"I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

Condensed

" PULITZER PRIZE " winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine.
The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards an United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.
The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat it. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, including the photographer Kevin Carter who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.
Three months later he committed suicide due to depression.
 

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#7
You mean he didn't pick the girl up and carry her to the food place? I woulda killed myself too.
 

T!mmy

New Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#8
Wolfy said:
You mean he didn't pick the girl up and carry her to the food place? I woulda killed myself too.
see this is one misconception I would like to 'clear' up...

As it might be seen inhumane either way, from my understanding, around these times and in areas such as these, this was not a rare occurance. The area is basically covered with s**t like this and you are warned about touching and getting diseases, etc.

NOW, in no way am I justifying his actions....just stating that there is more to it than one might assume initially...
 

soldiaboy

343 FDNY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#10
joe7987 said:
what I wanna know is why somebody is taking pictures of the starving girl rather than buying her some food.
how do you know he has any money?

he could of donated all his money helping other people already
 

joe7987

Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#11
soldiaboy said:
how do you know he has any money?

he could of donated all his money helping other people already
He has a camera and enough cash to develop photos. He has enough money to buy a girl some food in a third world country. And if not, he should sell his camera for some food.
 

T!mmy

New Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#12
T!mmy said:
" PULITZER PRIZE " winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine.
The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards an United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat it. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, including the photographer Kevin Carter who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.
Three months later he committed suicide due to depression.
The diseases was another issue. AND try to understand that it wasnt like this was the first or last time he saw things of this nature. To my understanding, it's quite common to see a starving child/person laying down publicly...

Not saying it was the right decision...he was put in a very hard situation...

His side of the fence could even say that atleast he was attempting to help those people by making the world more aware of such tragedies.
 

joe7987

Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#13
T!mmy said:
The diseases was another issue. AND try to understand that it wasnt like this was the first or last time he saw things of this nature. To my understanding, it's quite common to see a starving child/person laying down publicly...

Not saying it was the right decision...he was put in a very hard situation...

His side of the fence could even say that atleast he was attempting to help those people by making the world more aware of such tragedies.
This is true, but no matter how common it is.. I would think he would do his part to help the starving child. And I'm sure he agrees with me, else he would not have regretted it as much as he did.
 

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. Fucking Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#14
joe7987 said:
This is true, but no matter how common it is.. I would think he would do his part to help the starving child. And I'm sure he agrees with me, else he would not have regretted it as much as he did.
Not to be mean or anything, but I wouldn't touch em. Some of the deases they have and what not, plus, it's been said before, that people were instructed NOT to touch them.
 

soldiaboy

343 FDNY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#15
joe7987 said:
He has a camera and enough cash to develop photos. He has enough money to buy a girl some food in a third world country. And if not, he should sell his camera for some food.
how is he suppose to make a living if hes a photographer?
I understand your point but theres only so much you can do
 

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#16
T!mmy said:
...you are warned about touching and getting diseases, etc.

NOW, in no way am I justifying his actions....just stating that there is more to it than one might assume initially...
I gotcha, hadn't thought about that really.
 

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#17


Nick Ut photo. The naked girl tore her clothes off as they were burning from a napalm strike. Won the Pulitzer Prize.
 

joe7987

Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#18
soldiaboy said:
how is he suppose to make a living if hes a photographer?
I understand your point but theres only so much you can do
I dunno. I just find it very difficult to believe that he's an American who has the money to buy an expensive camera and travel to a different country, but doesnt have the cash to buy a starving child a loaf of bread. Meh, maybe there was some reason, but if he was willing to kill himself in part because of his actions.. I think he was probably at fault.
 

mailboy

Got Boom?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
#19
You know what.. I really like what he caught in this picture.. What he caught was a very good piece.. But No He wasnt in the wrong..


ALSO WHERE THE f**k IS HE GOING TO BUY A LOAF OF BREAD WITH U.S. CURRENCY??????
If he helps one he must help all..
 




VigLink badge