Installing coilovers for the 1st time....

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok. I read all about it, seen pictures, did my research! I felt like I could do it. So wednesday I went to a shop and the guy charged me $20 bucks to take off the wheels, all bolts (the ones I will take out) and lubed them then put it back. I wanted that since I didnt have a lift nor power tools. Thursday; I work from 8-5, drove 65miles to pick up my cheapo eBay coilovers I had sent to my sisters house.... Go to wal-mart to buy tools (jack stands, hydraulic jack, and idiot of me instead of gettin the socket wrench set I got for the cheaper regular wrench set, and also a set of allen keys, oh and spring compressors) which I only needed for this job so I was/did return them.

I start at 8:50pm. I do the rear first. I'm already like "F$%k what did I get myself into?" Remember, I'm not mechanically inclined but I do build scale models so I thought "if i just follow the instructions..." but the instructions were what i remembered fromt the internet. Mind you, I'm in a lighted parkin lot, not home were I can 'just give up' and sleep. Whatever, to make a long, REALLY LONG story short, that job took me 7h!!!! I was done at 4:10am. AAAAAND when it was done, I didnt lower the rear enough. It happens cause I first did the rear, f**ked up, learned, and did the front the right way. LOL.

Whoever says to a beginner that changing the springs and keeping the same strut is easy and do-able.... you're right! If you have tools and dont do it at night after a days work. It is super easy. I'm glad I didn't give up right after taking the 2 rear tires off. hehhehe

But yeah so my car was nasty tilted forward. I was so tired after 7h, I decided to just drive 'chillin' to school the next morning and take care of that after class. I go to that same shop where the dude charged me the 20bucks and he lets me use the power tools, the jacks, everything for free. I fixed the rear then dropped the front another half inch so the rear should go another inch down Im just to tired today to do this today. I dont know how low it is and it's a b***h to put pics in CC.com... But it's not too low. I still got stock struts and DO intend on a Tein S Spring/Tokico Illumina or Koni Yellow combo. If anyone can talk me into full coilovers (the expensive s**t) then tell me why's it better. All I want is handling! But yeah! It's nice to know that I love my car and it's so damn easy to 'mess with it'. Oh, and yeah! I already cracked my lip! Just not used to the height yet. Aight, later.....

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh yeah btw, the whole installing the s**t was $6.99+$30s/h for the coil, all tools were returned so FREE, $20 to the guy, and another $20 in liquids while I was doing the job. ehehhehehehe

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow.

i used a 10mm, 14mm, 12mm socket, 2 jackstands, torque bar, hammer and a screw driver. i was done in 2 hours.

life lesson you just got yourself

jpelizzari

5+ Year Member
Well if you want good handling, I'd say you already screwed yourself buy getting ebay coilovers. Those are a joke, and don't help with handling at all. I've put some on a 95 civic i had just to sale it, and they made everything worse. EVEN with after market struts i don't think your helping your ride quality. BUT everyone has there opinion, and that mine. Good luck bro. And if you ever have to do it again hope you can do it faster. I did a few and it only takes bout 2 hours.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Took me 2 hours to install springs.

Springs are harder to install then Coil overs.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
try doing it in a 7th/8th gen's/RSX's machperson strut, especially using lowering springs, it's a f**king headache taking those things apart, everything has to be lined up perfectly, or else you got to do it again.

5/6th gens are easy.

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ebay coilovers....hope it doesn't break apart while you're driving.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How's the ride? Well it's better than stock. Not too bumpy but I'm not diappointed with it. I knew I wasn't gonna like them that much. It's not too bumpy, it doesnt rub and it turns better. But I must admit, that whole gettin accustomed to a lower ride and BEING CAREFULL sucks! lol.

Dough

5+ Year Member
hahah props for DIY.... its always better when you do it yourself! (ok well not always...)

funny how you start at 9 pm... thats like bedtime! especially with school the next day! save that shitt for the weekend when there is daylight. also try not to rip stores off by returning used tools... thats sucks for the person who buys it next

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't mess up the tools. Just left some dirt on them. Plus, if I wasn't gonna use them anymore there was no reason for me keeing them. And I started late cause it's too fookin hot here. I try my best not to drive during the day, im serious. I just didn't count on it taking that long. I dont regret it thou. I learned somehting. Maybe the guy with the 3 broken coils did it himself too, but didnt learn. LOL. J/k.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nope not yet but I will next week. BTW I didn't notice any misalignment nor any caber (I think its negative camber) changes. But yeah I know I gotta get an alignment...

ryanM

How's the ride? Well it's better than stock. Not too bumpy but I'm not diappointed with it. I knew I wasn't gonna like them that much. It's not too bumpy, it doesnt rub and it turns better. But I must admit, that whole gettin accustomed to a lower ride and BEING CAREFULL sucks! lol.
i had no problem getting used to watching out for bumps.

but f**k, when i let other people drive my car.

"slow down for that.." BOOOOOM "nevermind"

or "you need to take this driveway angled...."

"what do you mean?" SCRAAAAAAAPE "nevermind"

ekcivicdx

5+ Year Member
took me a half hour to put my full coilover setup on...but that was on my lift with airtools...makes world of a difference

pasqual13

5+ Year Member
i had no problem getting used to watching out for bumps.

but f**k, when i let other people drive my car.

"slow down for that.." BOOOOOM "nevermind"

or "you need to take this driveway angled...."

"what do you mean?" SCRAAAAAAAPE "nevermind"
i feel you on that man
thats why nooone drives my car anymore other than me

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The people who drive my car are my friends when Im drunk, a girl when im drunk, and the occasional tow truck driver when I get arrested. My friends do most of the job, and since im drunk I wouldn't even notice scapes and bumps. And I say wouldnt cause I havent gotten drunk since i've put them on.... hhehehheheh