Installing Radio Problems...Help Needed ASAP

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi,

tryin to install a head unit by myself. I've been workin on this for 2days straight & facin many problems. can some one please look @ my stereo wires? I don't know what is the problem. AFter all set & done, my head unit won't turn ON at all :( seem like it does not receive any power from battery. Maybe brown Fuse? Bad Ground? Broken wire? How do I check a wire using volt meter? thanks =)

My car is 2000 honda civic EX (12 wires total)
The Head Unit is Alpine iDA-X001

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you are using an alipine-to-civic wire harness adapter everything should be color coded and matching. yellow is typically power source and black is ground. if those two are hooked up and the unit is not cutting on with the ignition turned to ACC then you probably have a blown fuse. remember to disconnect your battery's terminals when you work on your electrical system

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Did you jsut pull that out of the dash without taking off any panels?

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you jsut pull that out of the dash without taking off any panels?
i follow instruction from this site http://installdr.com/ , however I can't seem to get the driver side panel 2come out after removing 3 screws. I had to use some force.

if you are using an alipine-to-civic wire harness adapter everything should be color coded and matching. yellow is typically power source and black is ground. if those two are hooked up and the unit is not cutting on with the ignition turned to ACC then you probably have a blown fuse. remember to disconnect your battery's terminals when you work on your electrical system
Where should I look for blown fuse?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i follow instruction from this site http://installdr.com/ , however I can't seem to get the driver side panel 2come out after removing 3 screws. I had to use some force.

Where should I look for blown fuse?
there should be the 3 screws, then 2 or 3 push snaps that hold the piece onto the dash. basically just pull it towards you and it will pop out

the blown fuse would be in the driver's side fuse box under the dash you didnt yet remove

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
about the fuse, there're like 20 of em :( im not sure how to look for it & how to pull the fuse out (I'll give it try. very hard to get to the fuses.)

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy crap.....what the hell is with the mess? Did you buy a wiring harness for your new deck? This should be very simple. Pull out the old deck and unplug the harness. Then your new adapter wiring harness is attached to the new headunit. Plug the new harness into the car and put the trim panels back on. It shouldn't take you more then 30 minutes.

You shouldn't have to deal with any power or ground wires to the car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 6th gens are easy to do a HU swap.

It looks like you cut off the factory harness to expose all those wires and you want to direct connect the HU wires to it........am I right?

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It looked like this when I bought the car :( I had to cut off the factory harness. I'm pretty sure I install it properly, like disconnected negative battery and such. Air condition and emergency flash lights work fine. ONly the radio unit that doesn't work. The factory head unit didn't work then when I first bought, and it sure doesn't work now even w/ this new alpine head unit.

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want to check to see if power is goin to in put one end of the volt meter on the yellow wire and the other end on a ground turn the key and see if you get 12 volts

QzFiNeST107

o mannn i do this for a living at circuit city
and you my friend need to take that to your local circuit city or best buy because if you've never done this before your no going to figure it out by reading forums
let a train professional take care of it for you

some one cut the factory harness and wired up your alpine radio harness to your car harness which it would work but takes extra time to do it

hook up your acc wire(red) with your power wire (yellow) together and ground your black one and check your radio fuse to see if this solves your problem if not take it to someone

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never installed a stereo before my first time and I had no problem reading a write up. Granted I'm decent with wires, but still... its basically plug the aftermarket civic harness into the stock harness after you wire in the head units harness, its basically all the same colors.

QzFiNeST107

I've never installed a stereo before my first time and I had no problem reading a write up. Granted I'm decent with wires, but still... its basically plug the aftermarket civic harness into the stock harness after you wire in the head units harness, its basically all the same colors.
yea but this guy porblem is that who ever installed that radio previously they cut the factory harness so he cant plug a after market civic harness so he has to wire it up directly to the civic harness
which has no colors

whomp whomp

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, below is a factory wires diagram for my 2000 honda civic. One problem, there're 12 wires, but no solid black! And there is 1 mysterious Solid RED thats not even in the diagram (i guess its suppose to be black and I already ground it)

Radio Constant 12V+: Blue/White
Radio Switched 12V+ : Yellow/Red
Radio Ground : Black
Radio Illumination : Red/Black
Radio Dimmer : n/a
Radio Antenna : Driver’s Pillar
Front Speakers : 6 1/2? Doors
Left Front (+) : Blue
Left Front (-) : Gray/Black
Right Front (+) : Red/Green
Right Front (-) : Brown/Black
Rear Speakers : 6? x 9? Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) : Blue/Yellow
Left Rear (-) : Gray/White
Right Rear (+) : Red/Yellow
Right Rear (-) : Brown/White

Here's alpine

Power Ant: Blue
Remote Turn-on: Blue/White
Audio Interrupt In: Pink/Black
Illumination: Orange
Ignition: Red
Battery: Yellow
Black: Ground
Right Front (+) Gray
Right Front (-) Gray/Black
Right Rear (-) Violet/Black
Right Rear (+) Violet
Left Rear (+) Green
Left Rear (-) Green/Black
Left Front (-) White/Black
Left Front (+) White

+I carefully connected the important ones, for example

Factory Alpine

Blue/White to Yellow : Battery
Yellow/Red to Red : Ignition
Grounded Blacks

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
another day, I replaced a blown fuse under the hood for Radio (back up). Still, no luck. Head Unit won't Turn ON :(

Tomorrow, I'll check fuses under driver side panel.

hook up your acc wire(red) with your power wire (yellow) together and ground your black one and check your radio fuse to see if this solves your problem if not take it to someone

on the factory wires or alpine?

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
on the alpine

oh, snap! lol it works!!!!! ur the man. AFter changin the fuse under the hood and hookin Yellow & Red, my head unit is FINALLY on! So I should keep yellow & red wire together like that? What about Factory Radio Switched 12V+ : Yellow/Red wire? leave it unconnected? Thanks! im very happy =)

bondfreak05

5+ Year Member
Alright, sorry to revive a dead thread here, but I figured it would be much better than making a new one. (Despite the title >.> )
92 Civic LX
JVC SHX 700
Installing my head unit, and I don't think I fully understand the concept of the ground wire.
I have the JVC to Civic adapter, all wires are together. I connected the black on the JVC harness to the black on the Civic harness, and the red to red and yellow to yellow. All are connected. Is there a third ground that comes out of my head unit to the car, separate from the ones on the harnesses? I'm not getting any power to the unit. If anyone could help, i'd greatly appreciate it.

ak_thrylls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first, check the fuse under the dash, then check the fuse under the hood. then, if they are all good, you can try grounding the black wire from the deck to the car chassis. if all fuses are good and grounds are good and hots are good, check your deck. touch the red AND yellow wires to the + side of the battery (directly) and the black wire to the - side of the battery. press the power button and it should turn on.