Intakes

koolgreen

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm a novice with car engines and the like. Is there a difference between a regular air intake and cold air intakes? I would like to put one on my 92 civic LX 1.5

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well the idea is that you gain more HP from a cold-air than a regular air intake. It's not much though unless you have all the other bolt-on mods (i.e. header, cat-back exhaust) which will all work in harmony. The cold-air goes from the throttle body to the inside wheel fender right next to the front right wheel well. It's supposed to pull in more cold air, hence the term cold-air, due to the fact that it's isolated from the engine bay where temperatures rise. I have a AEM cold-air and I suggest you get the same...they make a cool sound as well....go with AEM....Sport Compact Car magazine conducted a comparison test with several intakes and found the AEM cold-air intake to surpass its competition. Hope this helps.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
none is really better than the other. They just make power in different areas of the power spectrum. The short ram will make more power in the top end where as the Cold air will make it in the bottom end.

As far as company wise, Aem is probably the best.

Tornactive.com has some CAI's on sale for cheap, and they have good fitment with a nice filter.

DLS TekNiQue

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea biofreak. its just a selling technique...tehy had to come up with something new so they could sell more. Its gunna cost $50-100 more then the regular cold air AEM...and maybe only add 1-2 more horsepower then a regualr AEM Cold air does. I wouldnt spend 50-100 more on 1-2 more HP...but its your guys' money

koolgreen

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All of these bolt on's such as header, cat-back exhaust and the cold air intake, are these smog legal?

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are some intakes that are not carb legal and there are some that are. AEM is one that is carb legal. as far as headers and exhaust, as long as you can hook up you O2 sensors it will pass.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is gonna sound really retarded...but what's the difference between top end and bottom end...(when u were talkin about short ram, and cold air)...i have an idea, but I'm not sure...

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
top end power refers to the power made at the higher end of your rpm spectrum and bottom is the power made at the lower rpm's.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, cool....and which is more desired for a person like myself who is stuck with an auto transmission? (it's not my fault i swear! I love manuals!)

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depends. do you race? or you just want one for looks and the small power increase? if you race definitely a cold air, cause you will benefit more from bottom end power. If you just cruise then a short ram will do.

If you have more questions hit me up on AIM

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, i gotcha now...=).....cai it is then! woohoo. lmao

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup, the colder the better. Also, a reduction in the air temp. going into the intake manifold reduces the chance of detonation.

kgbhx44

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The term O2 refers to the Oxygen Sensor. They are primarily located on your stock exhaust manifold (header) and often in the vicinity of your catalytic converter (cat) or either both depending on how many your car has. They have little sensors on them that read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust created by your engine. Although small, they can play a big part in the way your car's engine operates.