intermittent dying issue

2000alcivic

2000 ex with 307k miles. at random times it dies. i haven't found any pattern (rpm, speed, etc.), but doesn't seem to occur as often on the interstate. usually will crank right back up, but sometimes takes 4-5 tries before it starts back up. no other issues that i've found.

thanks

2000alcivic

i don't remember. my focus was on "get it into neutral & coast to the side of the road and/or recrank. i'll notice next time.

2000alcivic

managed to catch it in the act today: no warning lights; everything goes out. it is showing a p0740 code: lockout solenoid short. also: since i've had it, it's had an ignition switch quirk-when put in the accessory position, nothing happens. to get it into accessory mode, you need to turn the key a little farther past that indent. the advance auto guy said the switch contacts may be worn & vibration is causing a loss of contact in the run position.

Erock910

I know this is an old post. I’m having a problem with my 98 LX. Getting the same 0700 and 0740 codes. My tranny shifts fine. No slippage, shifts thru all the gears. I bought it with 165k, and changed the tranny fluid myself about two months ago. I just did a drain and refill not a “flush”. The fluid was most likely never changed before me. It was really dirty. I ordered a new TCC solenoid from amazon being that the part is $250+ from Honda.

Would you assume that my TCC is bad, and should I do another set of drain and flush to try to get as much as the old fluid out as possible??

Erock910

Yeah I reset the ecu. I have a cheap code scanner. I’m also getting a p0420 code catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. And also a 1456 code which I guess is EVAP leak detected tank area. I’ve read that sometimes the evap solenoid goes bad. I know that the car had a small gas leak that was fixed. I think it was near or on the filler neck. The 0420 code I’m assuming is a bad cat or downstream o2. Back to my original problem with the 0740. Sometimes I clear and it comes back a day later, and other times it can take up to a week to come back.