intermittent P0740 false nuetral problem

skillys

I am a new Honda owner, 1999 Honda civic, 220,000 miles run great since I replaced head gasket. The problem is this, a reoccurring false neutral in transmission. I will be driving along then the tranny stops working, when u shut it off and restart it will drive, maybe 50 feet maybe a mile then repeat. Then it appears to fix itself and run fine for months, this has happened 3 times the last being yesterday. I checked the clutch lock up solenoids, they both click, i've cleaned them then replaced them with used ones. anyone else experience this or have any suggestions? Since it is intermittent I am hoping it is electrical or a sensor. any help will be appreciated

Erock910

As far as I know, P0740 is the torque converter lockup. Check the TCC Solenoid and make sure it’s functioning. There is also a ground on one of the bolts that hold it into place.

jcampa

Have the same problem with 97 Honda. Also replaced solenoids to no avail. Will run until temp heats up then goes into neutral. Stop turn off key and start again it will run then go into neutral.