Is it true...

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it true that getting bigger rims could make you lose power? I heard that it would, but yes, i know the look is great, but i gotta manage every little bit of horsepower that i could get out of my d16

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's true to a certain extend. you have to keep in mind that the bigger the rim the more heavy it is. the more heavy it is the more power you need to move them.

generally small rims give you better acceleration while bigger rims help you hold high speeds better.

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah anything bigger then what your car comes with makes you loss hp, but not as much as you think. my friend unitzero runs the same time on the 1/4 mile with his 17's on. i think it only makes a reall big differnce if they are heavier then stock

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depends on your tires too bro

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not in this situation cuz is the same driver.

N1EX

Red_Robin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I havent noticed any power loss with my 17s. There might be some but its not noticeable. :wink:

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea...I have a set of 17s that weigh the same as my stock 14s and I don't notice a decrease in performance. My secondary set of 17s are heavier and weigh in 10 lbs. heavier @ each wheel...sometimes I do feel a loss in acceleration.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didnt say you'll feel it. i say technically.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea, imazn is right...technically when you increase in size and/or weight of a rim you loose performance. But this whole issue would be null if Honda came out with an AWD turboed Civic...hmm...nice....time for me to wake up now.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is called competition. if our cars turn into an awd turbo, we'll be competiting with scooby and evos and other supercars. that also mean price goes up and everything. which can mean not as much buyers. is really not our league to join in.

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
didn't the honda city/feiro come with AWD though

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that's japan. whole different market to compete in

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't forget about handling. A car's handling performance is based on the sprung mass (body and engine) as well as the unsprung mass (wheels). If the wheels weigh too much, adverse handling may result and you might find yourself in a ditch you tried to drift around.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i read an old sports compact car magazine article on this. if im not lazy i'll post up some of the info. they were testing a set of 15, 16, 17 inch wheels on the track and seeing what difference it made.

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
has anyone ver thought of swapping the AWD city tranny over to one of the US hondas?

but I also heard that those AWDs are too weak to take alot of Hp.