Is this normal?

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whenever Im driving my EJ8 in second or higher gear, or if Im just rolling more than 10 mph, and want to shift into first, it creates resistance and its kinda tough to put it in first. Is this normal?

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is there any reason for it to do that tho? Its pretty annoying...

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you shouldnt ever down shift to 1st anyways. ive heard its bad for your tranny.

StanghaterCivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea what he said^^^^^ your not supposed to down shift to first, the only time u should put it in first is when your stopped (thats what ive always heard)

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes and if you force it, it will bend/break your shift fork

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its a safely feature. First gear down shifts will f**k your tranny bad. Plus have you heard of people missing 4th gear and going into second and its good night motor? Think of what would happen if you did a down shift into 3rd but hit 1st... drive it in second or come to a complete stop and toss it in first.

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay, that makes perfect sense then. But for example, if Im coasting in second, at like 10 mph, and wanto make a fast turn or sumtin. first seems like a better choice.

Okay thanks guys, the main reason I thought something with my tranny was f**ked because I don't recall that happening in my dad's stang

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Partizan said:
Okay, that makes perfect sense then. But for example, if Im coasting in second, at like 10 mph, and wanto make a fast turn or sumtin. first seems like a better choice.

Okay thanks guys, the main reason I thought something with my tranny was f**ked because I don't recall that happening in my dad's stang
just take it in 2nd, or dont leave first in the first place......

not all cars do this, my 04 cavalier doesnt but my gsr does.....and so have all of my other hondas

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i drive and i downshift to first i try to rev match. dont always get it tho lol other then that i dont force it in...

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Aight cool, thats for clearing that up. BTW, I just drove my dad's mustang, and it does the same thing, but the resistance is MUCH less.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
never downshift to 1st. i'm guilty for doing it a couple times, but I'm a idiot.

rupesh52

5+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
when i drive and i downshift to first i try to rev match. dont always get it tho lol other then that i dont force it in...
AliasNeo > thats about the only way to do it safely (its still bad for the tranny but its not all that bad as forcing it in without matching the revvs).

Ever tried double clutching? =) How often do u guys use this technik?

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when slowing down i just use my brakes.. rather spend money replacing brakes then wearing down my engine.

Slick_99

RIP 99'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Never downshift into first. I downshift and let go the clutch slightly when I brake so the brakes, tranny and engine help me slow down. Second car I've done this in and nothings ever happened in terms of problem with either three parts so I guess its fine. Power Braking or whatever, who knows?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i beat the s**t out of my tranny, but i dont downshift into 1st. thats bad bad bad. change your tranny fluid to royal purple tranny s**t. its very good, and it makes a big differance. shifts are much smoother ;)

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It isn't a good idea to shift into first while moving. Most cars are like this. I know the 7th gens are like this. Mine I can if I am going like 5mph however.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
your car is not an ek9
I already explained it to him in a PM. =)