jacked up tranny or shot axle?

086head

Registered VIP
Sup peeps. I was driving home from work yesterday when i hear this famous sounding pop...the one you go "oh f***" it wasnt the motor thankfuly. My axles been in pretty bad shape and its my passenger side which would be my drive tire, right? Well i coasted to the side of the road and popped my hood. The was smoke coming from my drive axle and when i put it in gear it wouldnt move. Can an axle be shot to where it wouldnt work pr is the tranny just gone?
Its a 93 ex z6 block jdm d15 head

Last edited:

086head

Registered VIP
Wrong section please move to 5th gen. Dont know how to.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
IF the axle pops out of the splines while your drive then pops back in you're almost guaranteed fckd. It will rip the tranny to shreds. You have three teeth on your axle that fit into a matching socket, this is what the boot covers, if those snap you could possibly see smoke from the grease and metal getting hot. What did it sound like when you tried to drive it?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any sound when u try and put it in gear?

086head

Registered VIP
Before all of this happend i had a bad shake when accelerating but if i was just cruising at 1 speed it was fine with no shaking. I was thinking the bearings were sticking because the was a slight rip in the boot closest to the tranny. After i heard the pop and couldnt accelerate anymore like i was in neutral i pulled off the road. When i looked at it the boot was seperated completely thus smoke as well. I then put my car in gear and it clicked in gear but nothing happened. Got out again and looked at the axle and it was boppling around...if that makes sense. Its being towed home as we speak

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Before all of this happend i had a bad shake when accelerating but if i was just cruising at 1 speed it was fine with no shaking. I was thinking the bearings were sticking because the was a slight rip in the boot closest to the tranny. After i heard the pop and couldnt accelerate anymore like i was in neutral i pulled off the road. When i looked at it the boot was seperated completely thus smoke as well. I then put my car in gear and it clicked in gear but nothing happened. Got out again and looked at the axle and it was boppling around...if that makes sense. Its being towed home as we speak
Sounds to me like you just blew an axle. Replace it and all should be good

086head

Registered VIP
I pray its the axle.Glad tomorrow is payday and i got a couple of spares in my stepdads shop.Had it towed to my parents since it was closer. Borrowing a friends fukis to drive down there and change the axle. while im at it ill snap some more pics for my "whats it worth thread" Spare parts are no problem for me my friends >:}