Just Boosted...Trouble On Start Up

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We just put a turbo on my buddy's GSR. We buttoned it up and started it up and it will idle but when you give it gas it will stall out unless you let it back down to idle. The car will rev and drop real quick like it has a vacuum leak but twice as fast and the valve cover breather is blowin air like mad....There is a sensor on the back that i have no idea what it is. I think it might be a knock sensor but im not sure. Its on the back of the block twards the top, above the oil pres sensor and the coolant tube that goes across the back of the block. Its not hooked up. Does the knock sensor (if it is) Have that much effect of the car?

Any help? Thanks

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any CEL?....a knock sensor will only activate after the 2nd radiator fan cycle...it doesn't come on right away

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea it will throw a light after a sec of running. I dont have a code reader tho

Winki

just an innerfooler ;)
5+ Year Member
well if your not sure where the knock sensor is you probably shouldnt be messing with putting a turbo on the car:P.. but any who . is the ECU chiped for a boosted car?

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so if i have a 99 civic and adding boost next wed. My mechanic broke my knock sensor taking the motor out but i was told when u turbo the car the OBD1 ECU wont even read the knock sensor, so it is pointless to purchase?? Can i just be good without it.....cuz its kinda expensive.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont HAVE to have a knock sensor, but it will throw a cel if your ecu isnt made aware of it. what engine management do you have?

if its obd2 use a code reader, if its obd1 look up the DIY way to check it, atleast this way you will know exactly why its throwing a cel and go from there.

i really doubt a knock sensor would result in vacuum like issues though.

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well yeah i was told tho once i switch the ECU to a OBD1 P28 i wont even be able to use the knock sensor. So im just wondering do i replace it and spend the 180 on a new one or just leave it alone n go from there.......i dont have plans to going back to stock so im just wondering what I could do. And im running Crome pro EMS

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, p28 wont recognize the knock anyways. recheck all of your vacuum lines for leaks or incorrect connections. if you have to, pull everything off and start all over.

and a sidenote, my knock sensor was broke by my machine shop during machine work, but i didnt replace it for the same reason, its not needed.

majorahole

5+ Year Member
the knock sensor in hondas are worthless, not sensetive enough.
just disable knock in crome

mr.eg $upreme

5+ Year Member
wat if u just get an ecu that can support the the controllers cpu and check over everything u did to put the turbo into the car recheck ur connects and see if ur wastegate was knocked loose

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
haha yea i read that whole thread......im sorry but how can someone be that dumb ??

mike@synapse

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so if i have a 99 civic and adding boost next wed. My mechanic broke my knock sensor taking the motor out but i was told when u turbo the car the OBD1 ECU wont even read the knock sensor, so it is pointless to purchase?? Can i just be good without it.....cuz its kinda expensive.
not needed dont worry about it.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's the OP asking his question, then 2 others asking their own questions. Stealth thread jackers.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
WTFMOTHERUFUCKlNG THREAD JACK?

oh and the engine pic on renoks myspace, that bay looks VERY familiar..