Just finished gauge cluster LED conversion!

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks, yeah i say go for it, just gotta plan everything ahead of time and have a bit of diy experience. if you need any help lemme know

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oopsies, i think i have to calibrate my speedo needle, i must have winded it back a bit too far when masking it off for painting, anybody know how to calibrate it?

2.0crx

5+ Year Member
go to superbrightleds.com order direct replacements for the cluster bulbs..... works great. if you do get these they work one way only so if you put it in and it dont work just pull the led out and rotate it and put it in. a lot easier than dealing with resisters and other b.s.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go to superbrightleds.com order direct replacements for the cluster bulbs..... works great. if you do get these they work one way only so if you put it in and it dont work just pull the led out and rotate it and put it in. a lot easier than dealing with resisters and other b.s.
that's not the point of this thread. i could care less for a mod if it was considered easy, i wanted a challenge to make my gauges look great. fyi, you're right that ordering pre-made led bulbs to screw in saves trouble but can be costly, depending on where you get them. i know i saved a heck of a lot of money doing mine (done my research before hand). also with those screw in bulbs you're definately going to get hot spots on your gauges, ask anyone whose had them. mine on the other hand are completely even with NO hot spots whatsoever, i wish i can take a better pic but my camera sucks.

so if you're half decent with diy's then why spend more on something mediocre, while you can save a lot AND make them look good?

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any by the way, i'm in the process of doing the same mod on my buddy's 99 accord.... i'm almost done and will post pics on a new thread so stay tuned!

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^yeah prices have gone down quite a bit since i started researching.... it was about twice as expensive back then, but then again if counting all the materials used for my conversion it'll be about $5

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that's not the point of this thread. i could care less for a mod if it was considered easy, i wanted a challenge to make my gauges look great. fyi, you're right that ordering pre-made led bulbs to screw in saves trouble but can be costly, depending on where you get them. i know i saved a heck of a lot of money doing mine (done my research before hand). also with those screw in bulbs you're definately going to get hot spots on your gauges, ask anyone whose had them. mine on the other hand are completely even with NO hot spots whatsoever, i wish i can take a better pic but my camera sucks.

so if you're half decent with diy's then why spend more on something mediocre, while you can save a lot AND make them look good?
ive explained a thousand times how to use replacement bulbs and NOT get hot spots...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^yeah prices have gone down quite a bit since i started researching.... it was about twice as expensive back then, but then again if counting all the materials used for my conversion it'll be about $5
i only prefer working with the direct replacement bulbs because if one dies its pretty easy to replace..

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive explained a thousand times how to use replacement bulbs and NOT get hot spots...
i know you have. i keep mentioning hot spots because most likely the average person who is installing these led wedge bulbs arent familiar with lighting wiring/soldering, or are afraid to mess something up with an extra led added. they dont know the difference between my mod and that so they suggest to buy these bulbs because it seems easier.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
either way good job man. looks great. I know i love the led's in mine.
thanks =) did you get the led bulbs for the top two as well? most ppl leave it out when installing led bulbs but i wonder how they see their needles at night

2.0crx

5+ Year Member
no i left the regular ones in there. i dont have a problem, ill have to take a pic and post it. i have a few small hot spots in mine, but not bad enough to bother me.