Just Finished Making this...

FoxfireEK

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's had the firewall brace trimmed and cleaned up since this picture, now it just needs to be powder coated.
I'm going to be making as much of my own stuff as possible.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's sick. I envy people who can weld. I used to have a 3-point front upper strut bar. I swear I noticed a difference. I want one again.

How much did the material cost and how long did you spend making that?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY FTW. i build a lot of my own parts as well.

FoxfireEK

Ok, i'm gonna try to respond to everyone...

it took about 6 hours to make.

had the material laying around. (60 bucks or so if I bought it)

not sure on weight.

and its my dads welder, all i know is its a Miller and its the size of my car.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, it's ugly but if it works that's all that matters!! I'd love to have a 3pt. I used to have a tower but w/ the new(er) intake it doesn't fit.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good, you should paint it with some wrinkle black.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I think it looks kinda like the PasswordJDM one. Smooth out the welds if you havent already and get it powder coated and you'll be balling! Looks good IMO. Nice work.

FoxfireEK

Welds are smooth, and its been cleaned waiting for payday to get it powder coated. I was thinking Charcoal metallic or dark bronze for the color, the car getting painted white. The PW:JDM one was the Spec that i was going for just 200 dollars cheaper =)

Next is Rear subframe brace, control arms, and some sort of trunk brace thats grocery friendly...

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i wanna see finished product, after its been painted. great job tho man, looks good

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you feel any difference??? What would be the difference against a brand one, just the price??? I know how to weld and I can get material for free on the job but I always though that making my own wouldn't be worth

FoxfireEK

I would love to make and sell them. My dad is a machinist and welder (with me apprenticing) and we would like to have a machine shop / parts company (Quality parts for a fraction of the price). We will be testing out a few parts on my car and then maybe hooking some people up really cheap to get some credibility and get some clients. I feel that people way overcharge for a "name brand" and would love other budget minded people to have the chance to build a car with quality products. As for the material it is .250 for the tower structure and the tubing is aircraft grade stainless. We are in the early stages of making a street legal Honda 1300cc turbocharged go-kart, so parts are coming slow right now.

This is our Powerplant for the "Go-Kart"

FoxfireEK

As for the difference with the name brand there should be only a positive result over a more expensive one, because companies usually cut corners and use bare minimum materials. This thing is thicker and beefier than most, pretty much bullet proof and has no give or flex whatsoever. One feature we added was the unboltable firewall mount so it can be installed and uninstalled alot easier, which is nice if you want to do your intake manifold or an engine swap later. (as I will be)