Just got my 06 ex coupe.. unhappy

jamessicat25

5+ Year Member
so i asked my friend who drives an auto scion tc stock to race me.

we started 0 to 60 and starting from 1 mph i got smoked...

my civic is 1 week old...

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your civic an auto as well?

jamessicat25

5+ Year Member
MT.. im planning to do add header intake and exhaust.. maybe that would help me kill his car.. but im too broke since i paid 20grand for this car =(

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Um....maybe you should do research about a car before you spend 20 grand on it :what:

It's not supposed to be faster than the scion TC, the TC has more hp and torque and I don't know the weight diff but it's probably not that much.

BTW you can't add a header to the R18 at this point, the header is part of the head.

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uh.. you might want to chat with some of the 8th gen owners here. Because I think the dealers can void your warrenty if you redline your car, they have a way to check with the 8th gen. Plus, you really shouldn't go pass 3k rpm till you have at least 500 miles on it..

jamessicat25

5+ Year Member
wow really? what in the mod will make my warranty get voided? is that really complicated.... and scion tc was way cheaper at the price too...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pineapples said:
uh.. you might want to chat with some of the 8th gen owners here. Because I think the dealers can void your warrenty if you redline your car, they have a way to check with the 8th gen. Plus, you really shouldn't go pass 3k rpm till you have at least 500 miles on it..
No, that's BS made up by people at the dealers...they can't do that. I think the dealer is with honda that your warranty will be voided if there is a way the new part caused damage. Example if your tranny brakes, and you have a new exhaust they won't void it. But if you installed an aftermarket LSD and final drive then they could...but im not 100% on that.

But yea, you really need to brake the car in properly, racing the car when it's only 1 week old will dramatically shorten the cars life and reliability. Boo urns.

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Scion TC = 161hp <> 06 Civic coupe = 140hp

you loose.

yeah yeah, get the intake, header and exhaust then race him again.....um nope you loose again. :???:
:hitlol: :smileyR:

edit:
maybe, i think it would be close now that I think about it, but I still think you will loose

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going-West said:
No, that's BS made up by people at the dealers...they can't do that. I think the dealer is with honda that your warranty will be voided if there is a way the new part caused damage. Example if your tranny brakes, and you have a new exhaust they won't void it. But if you installed an aftermarket LSD and final drive then they could...but im not 100% on that.

But yea, you really need to brake the car in properly, racing the car when it's only 1 week old will dramatically shorten the cars life and reliability. Boo urns.
no it will not. have you ever learned how to properly break in a new motor?

every single motor ive slapped together ive broken in the correct way.

heres the process:

try to vary the revs as much as possible, with alot of short blasts. It is very important that you let the engine "brake" itself by just letting off the throttle and letting the vehicle slow down on it's own, while in gear. This creates a vaccum in the cylinder and forces the rings outward, which wears down the peaks in the cylinder's fresh hone. Do this for the first 20 miles, and then proceed to beat the s**t out of the motor, up to it's maximum rev range, as long as it is tuned accordingly. As long as the bearings are within spec and the rod bolts were torqued correctly, there is NOTHING to worry about.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going-West said:
No, that's BS made up by people at the dealers...they can't do that.
actually if you read the warranty they have SUPER specific guidelines.. some of them flat out state that any modifications to the factory setup can void the warranty.. some of them go into lawyer talk stating that the parts that come on the vehicle have been tested to work together so there is no way to garuntee that any additional or swapped part would work correctly.. some of them focus on the work stating that if the dealer does not do the work there is no way to insure that the car is worked on correctly.. thats why factory performance parts are so expensive.. you are buying a part that the manufacture has accepted as being functional with the car they are selling you.. there are people out there (like SEMA) who fight for the rights of the consumer.. and try to push for the consumer to be taken care of in the event warranty work is needed even in the presence of aftermarket parts.. but again when fighting an automotive giant sometimes its not even worth the effort.. A LOT of people talk this that and the other about warranties.. but i dont think too many of us know the FULL details.. when i blew my tranny up the first time and was covered under the extended warranty from Honda my cool ass dealer instructed me to convert my car back to stock before the inspector came to look at the damage.. the dealer stated that if they saw the nitrous lines and s**t like that they would state that the damage resulted from "racing" the car and was therefore my fault...

so really.. there are a LOT to warranties...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oilpool said:
no it will not. have you ever learned how to properly break in a new motor?

every single motor ive slapped together ive broken in the correct way.

heres the process:

try to vary the revs as much as possible, with alot of short blasts. It is very important that you let the engine "brake" itself by just letting off the throttle and letting the vehicle slow down on it's own, while in gear. This creates a vaccum in the cylinder and forces the rings outward, which wears down the peaks in the cylinder's fresh hone. Do this for the first 20 miles, and then proceed to beat the s**t out of the motor, up to it's maximum rev range, as long as it is tuned accordingly. As long as the bearings are within spec and the rod bolts were torqued correctly, there is NOTHING to worry about.
Yes, I know that my dad just bought a brand new miata turbo and it had a very specific break in process. But there is a big difference between what you posted and just redlining and racing the car around right off the lot. He's not doing short blasts and then slow down with the gears, he's just wearing it out in the first week on the car's life...that's not how you break in a car.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
actually if you read the warranty they have SUPER specific guidelines.. some of them flat out state that any modifications to the factory setup can void the warranty.. some of them go into lawyer talk stating that the parts that come on the vehicle have been tested to work together so there is no way to garuntee that any additional or swapped part would work correctly.. some of them focus on the work stating that if the dealer does not do the work there is no way to insure that the car is worked on correctly.. thats why factory performance parts are so expensive.. you are buying a part that the manufacture has accepted as being functional with the car they are selling you.. there are people out there (like SEMA) who fight for the rights of the consumer.. and try to push for the consumer to be taken care of in the event warranty work is needed even in the presence of aftermarket parts.. but again when fighting an automotive giant sometimes its not even worth the effort.. A LOT of people talk this that and the other about warranties.. but i dont think too many of us know the FULL details.. when i blew my tranny up the first time and was covered under the extended warranty from Honda my cool ass dealer instructed me to convert my car back to stock before the inspector came to look at the damage.. the dealer stated that if they saw the nitrous lines and s**t like that they would state that the damage resulted from "racing" the car and was therefore my fault...

so really.. there are a LOT to warranties...
I never said anything about mods, I know mod's can void warrantys and dealers are sticklers about that, he said they can void your warranty for redlining the car, which I said is BS. Unless honda put something in the ECU that records how hard you drivce the car, so they can read it when they do checkups and then take your warranty away, that's just a scare tactic.