Just picked up a 92 hatch!!! Engine Swap?

ryan211013

So bought this cool little 92 hatch on Craigslist. Unfortunately the motor smokes like crazy and I'm just counting it a shot dead. So the question... buy another b15, or go for a k20? What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First figure out your power goals and budget.

ryan211013

Honestly, I'm not planning on it to be a fast car, just want a good looking fun to drive car

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, I'm not planning on it to be a fast car, just want a good looking fun to drive car

Regardless, you still need a budget.
There is quite a bit of difference between replacing the motor with a stock original and going to a completely different motor which will require axles, transmission, mounts, electronics and more labor.

ryan211013

Do you like the power difference is huge between the b15 and k20?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do you like the power difference is huge between the b15 and k20?

I'm guessing you have a D15, as there is no B15. If you do have a B series motor, it's either B16 or B18. Regardless, a K-series motor will act like a completely different car, and will be much more powerful. A bit more expensive, though.

Like Mr. Baker said, your budget should be your first step... no point in putting together parts for a car if you later determine you can't afford it.

ryan211013

Well I figured this would be a long drawn out process but my #1 goal is to get it running as fast as possible.

I'd like to stay under $2400 and all labor will be done by myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
honestly if you really want to do a k20 swap your gonna need at least around 3-4k saved up, that with buying a used k20. for 2400 you should just to a b series build, you make dcent amount of power and it will be a fun car to drive around and f**k around in. ecu, swap header, and swap mount kits alrady gonna run you little over 1k already.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Dude you have ALOT of research to do. It's obvious you aren't aware of what it takes to even swap a b series into that chassis let alone a k. K motor and trans alone account for almost 3k. Get on k20a.org and start reading. Swapping a healthy b series into that light hatch will wake it up quite a bit and make it fun as hell to drive. There's still a few things you need to research like which harness or ecu you want but for the most part it's pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Amazing what the internet can do for you. A K swap can be really expensive if you try to get more out of it. A B swap would be expensive too if it was swapped with unnecessarily fancy parts. This list and budget swap is a very low end k swap, but a K swap nonetheless that will at least give you some potential later on. With your lack of knowledge and ease of budget, I would suggest a replacement D series or B series swap.....and search how to do it....

2004 Honda Accord K24A4 engine
2004 Honda Accord 5-speed transmission
2005 Honda Accord ECU for manual transmission
KTuner reflash
2004 Honda Element engine wiring harness for manual transmission
Hasport ECU sub harness
Hasport EGK4 mount kit
Hasport axles for K-swap
DC Sports K-swap header
2006 Civic Si intermediate shaft
2004 Honda Accord alternator
RSX idler pulley
serpentine belt
AEM fuel pressure regulator
2004 Accord flywheel
2004 Accord clutch
parts for intake and air filter
upper radiator hose
lower radiator hose
heater hoses
Rywire knock sensor connector
other misc wire and connectors
IAS
clutch slave cylinder and lines
2005 Honda Accord shifter and cables
02 sensor
brake line for clutch master
Hasport radiator hose adapter
fuel fittings and hose

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It still amazes me how there are still people who believe that working on cars is like playing with legos. It may be in your best interest to start at the absolute basics of how car engines work so you hopefully build at least a basic understanding of engines and mechanics, then work up to the basics of engine swaps, and finally car specific swaps.

You can buy the most expensive equipment available and still ruin a car due to a lack of understanding of a basic principle such as "torque specs". Lack of research will only lead to an expensive learning lesson.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could do a D motor for $500, boost, get choo choo noises for les than $2400... B motor, lots of options for $1500 maybe even boost.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Obviously you're not buying a brand new crate motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
easy.... guy is as green as they come, he might come from a world where buying brand new crate motors is common.

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would just get another day series just so it's running and use the rest of the money to do a build on the motor that smokes. For 1 it will be cheaper to build the single cam and 2 it will give you a chance to learn some things when it comes to making some power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jailbird

It still amazes me how there are still people who believe that working on cars is like playing with legos. It may be in your best interest to start at the absolute basics of how car engines work so you hopefully build at least a basic understanding of engines and mechanics, then work up to the basics of engine swaps, and finally car specific swaps.

You can buy the most expensive equipment available and still ruin a car due to a lack of understanding of a basic principle such as "torque specs". Lack of research will only lead to an expensive learning lesson.
Tuning isn't tuning without tuning... Fundamentals are essential instead of optional. But, those that regard such as optional bring me their hoopdie to message it, and it pays for my hoopdie. Not too bad of a trade off. Sometimes annoying but lucrative.