Just swapped engine, No spark, no fuel

ridemoto187

Hey guys , I have a 1996 Honda Civic dx I just swapped my d16y7 with a d16y8, went to start up for the first time, and my fuel pump won't turn on unless we stick a paperclip in pin 7 or 8 , if it's just the relay in, the fuel pump doesn't turn on, no spark or anything , the car tries to crank but won't fire
what could this be? All fuses are good and my dads mechanic checked voltage and everything is good, I'm stumped my car has been out of commission since November ,I'm getting real frustrated, any help with be appreciated, thanks in advance

710times

Have you checked the pgmfi relay located on the side of the glove compartment? I had that issue a while ago. Stumped me til I came across that

ridemoto187

Have you checked the pgmfi relay located on the side of the glove compartment? I had that issue a while ago. Stumped me til I came across that

Yes and when we pop the cover off of it and my buddy stuck a paperclip in it, and then the fuel system works if I take the paperclip out and just have the relay in, nothing .

710times

Sounds like you found your problem. That relay controls just more than your fuel pump. It also does your ignition and your injector pulse. They have them at Autozone under fuel injection relays for $50 or they have them on ebay for like 15. But it may not work. I'd splurge the extra cash and buy a new one. Take it out of the case and look at the solder connections. They end up cracking and will start arcing across each other which causes melting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ridemoto187

Sounds like you found your problem. That relay controls just more than your fuel pump. It also does your ignition and your injector pulse. They have them at Autozone under fuel injection relays for $50 or they have them on ebay for like 15. But it may not work. I'd splurge the extra cash and buy a new one. Take it out of the case and look at the solder connections. They end up cracking and will start arcing across each other which causes melting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Well I did buy a new one from AutoZone and that's the one that we have a paperclip in

710times

hmmm.. someone needs to chime in then, im lost. good luck my problem was the pgmfi then the coil so i ended up replacing the distributor. got one at autozone for 164 lifetime warranty

ridemoto187

Did you install an ex engine wire harness? If so, what year was the donor car?

If you turn the key from OFF to ON(II), does the CEL remain on steady or turn off after 2 seconds?
No kept my original harness and I'm not familiar with "CEL" what is that?

ridemoto187

How did you connect the knock sensor without an EX harness?

CEL = Check Engine Light

Ask your dad to pull the CEL codes by jumping the service connector or connecting a code reader.

Good question and no check engine light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk