Just thinking way ahead...Auto w/ turbo?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm sittin at work bored and procrastinating so i started thinking into what i'd like for my car, i currently have a bone stock EJ8 with an autotragic...would it be possible to boost the Y8 and keep the auto transmission? its not that i want to by any stretch, but it would be really time consuming and not to mention expensive to swap to manual. if it's possible to boost the auto, how much hp could it handle you think? and how much would a standard turbo kit get me power-wise?

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not too sure but i believe gearbox has done it or is close.. You may want to ask him....

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow lol. Don't do it, and start at point "A" before you go ant turbo your car. your trans won't be able to handle it and eventually give out, and much faster then beating on your car and N dropping it. Basically no, don' do it.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree. dont do it

blueline

JDM Jerzy Domestic Market
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, it is completely possible and it has been done. Go to www.turbod16.com and there are quite a few people that have it and have been boosting for a couple years with good results. I am not advocating it (I myself am swapping to manual before boosting), but a tranny cooler is really all you need for low boost. I did alot of research because that was the path I was going to take and most people agree that the cooler is the life savor. 8psi is possible without a torque converter, howerver that is pretty much the limit. Here are also things I have found out...

-The tranny is alot less able to take abuse so consistantly hard driving is really not recommended.
-Yes, you keep boost pressure at all times, however unless you shift yourself you may not build up any boost when you stomp because the gear has to take time to upshift itself, thus you really loose the takeoff.
-If you have the CVT tranny forget it as it's built for economic crusing so it will go quickly.

Other than that everything else is the same. I would figure it would be good for spirited driving but not reliable if you plan to stomp on it with the boys on Sat night.

All in all yes, you could do it with great results, however the longevity is the factor in how you run it. Remeber also that an auto will loose about 25=30% of what comes from the engine due to the auto so you will not get the numbers as a regular 5 speed. It's really not how much horsepower you get, it's what the tranny will end up accepting.

jwlhw2

5+ Year Member
I agree it can be done but it is not ideal. 8 psi would be the max. Auto to Manual conversion for civics are very easy to do. Almost all the bolt holes line up perfectly although I suggest switching from linkage to lines it provides a much smoother shift to help compensate for any mishaps that can occure in the swap. It can also cost less than you my think because alot of your auto parts you can sell for more than what you buy the manual ones for.