K & N filters

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
should I get one to replace the dryflow filter on my aem cold air intake?

I've heard good things about the k&n filters, so i was wondering.

Or is it basically pointless and won't do anything.

Also, how often should I clean/check the air filter for the cai?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Reasons not to get K&N

-poor filtration, only 92%, oem calls for at least 98% which paper does.
-poor filter media, cotton gauze is the worst medium for air filters and falls apart over time.
-the oil will eventually ruin your MAF sensor on your 8thgen.
-your warranty will be void

reasons to get K&N

-flows insignificantly more air than paper.

reasons to keep dryflow

-its paper, filter efficiency is high, but it will flow less air (not enough to notice).
-doesnt void warranty or ruin maf sensor.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha, well that last post answered my question, thanks!

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its pointless. Your current filter will essentially work just as well. As far as checking your filter, give it a look over whenever you do an oil change. You shouldn't need to clean it more than once or twice a year depending on where you live, things like driving dirt or dusty roads etc...

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I guess I'll check it next oil change.

Does anyone know where I can buy that AEM filter cleaner stuff?

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gearbox said:
Reasons not to get K&N

-poor filtration, only 92%, oem calls for at least 98% which paper does.
-poor filter media, cotton gauze is the worst medium for air filters and falls apart over time.
-the oil will eventually ruin your MAF sensor on your 8thgen.
-your warranty will be void

reasons to get K&N

-flows insignificantly more air than paper.

reasons to keep dryflow

-its paper, filter efficiency is high, but it will flow less air (not enough to notice).
-doesnt void warranty or ruin maf sensor.
Wait you said it is only 92% which is less than paper, but below you say it flows more than paper?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they are two different things. flow is how much air moves through at a given time. filter is how well it traps dirt particles. an open pipe will flow more than the K&N but wont filter at alll. the new weapon-r SW1 filter (oiled foam) has been tested to outflow and outfilter traditional cotton gauze and even paper. Thats what I use and I stand by it.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The weapon R filters look pretty cool.

Where did you get yours? And how is it cleaned, etc.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sion0x said:
The weapon R filters look pretty cool.

Where did you get yours? And how is it cleaned, etc.
Yeah I would also like to know. My i guess crap K&N from my CAI doesn't fit my new SRI.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The weaponR SW1 is kinda expensive, you can get it at www.racinglab.com and it requires a special foam filter cleaning kit that uses sticky spray oil and a different cleaner. DO NOT use a regular cotton filter cleaner or you will ruin it. It is hands down the best filter, it has been flow tested and designed on a cad bench. It actually flows more air than an open pipe without filter and way better than K&N or paper. Btw the sw1 only comes in 3 inch and 4 inch diameter.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gearbox said:
It actually flows more air than an open pipe without filter.
Think about this sentence for a minute.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:rolf:

physically not possible? didn't notice that sentence until you isolated it.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a velocity stack can be installed on any filter, it's not something that WeaponR came up with. Second, the velocity stack really only works well when it's already in a high flow situation, that's why you see them on ITB setups with no filters.

Take a straw and attach a full balloon to the end. Let it go and time how long it takes to deflate. Add a velocity stack and do it again. There's almost NO difference if any at all. The straw is still the bottleneck and thus the issue. Unless you change the pipe it will flow the same volumn unless you charge the airflow.

Theoretically the velocity stack works and works well, however any gains in this setup will be so minimal it's not even worth mentioning.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The k n filter last way longer than any other filters you just have to clean them more and add oil to it.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But they don't look at cool. That is all that matters, don't you guys no nothing.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You rather something that looks all fancy and is less quality then the other part is suerior quality but does not look good.