K20 in a 7th gen 2dr -4dr?

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, does anyone here have a K20(A2 or A3) swap in their 7th gen coupe or sedans?!? er does any one know any one with a K-series swap in their 7th gen, excecpt Si?

anywho, long story short.... my buddy wants to turbo his EM2.... our other buddy, who owns a shop, says he can get him a K20A3 for a really really really sweet deal...
he's being kinda hesitant about it all... maybe he's just trying not to get his hopes up..
One of my arguments for him was that it's definately a unique swap, i know for a fact there aren't any K20 powered EM2's in our area so he'd be a pimp if he had it..
Just wondering what you guys think?

Last edited:

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a3 is the 160 hp si motor- it sucks balls. totally not worth it. if it was an a2, or a k24, maybe it would be worth it, but that motor is the crappiest k series, and is a poor swap. a b20 is far cheaper and almost as powerful. no way to justify the cost of a k swap for that pitiful motor.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not trying to question you, just tryin to get more info... but from a technical standpoint what's so bad about the a3?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its not built for high revs or high h p. it does not use normal vtec, it uses vtec much like vtec-e, just without the lean burn technology. its just not a high performance motor. if it was a simple swap, like an ls in a 5th gen, it'd be a fine swap. but because of the complexity and cost of a k swap, theres no point to put an inferior motor in.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
its not built for high revs or high h p. it does not use normal vtec, it uses vtec much like vtec-e, just without the lean burn technology. its just not a high performance motor. if it was a simple swap, like an ls in a 5th gen, it'd be a fine swap. but because of the complexity and cost of a k swap, theres no point to put an inferior motor in.
ahhhhh i see, i didn't know all that! thanks!

btw, isn't the redline on an a3 pretty low? like 6800 er something?

Polykarb

6000rpms and im gone->
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah the redline is the same as my D17A2....6800rpms

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Polykarb said:
yeah the redline is the same as my D17A2....6800rpms
that's kinda stale for an 'Si'....

what do those thing run in the quarter?

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, i'm already startin' to lean towards a 'no' on an a3 swap.....

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would never base a motor's potential on lack of revs - and any REAL high performance motor does not even have VTEC.

Put the bottom end of a K24 on a K20A3. Can you spell, "torque"?

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention - if I were to choose one? A(R) or A2.

Last edited:

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SlammedBlueEM2 said:
I would never base a motor's potential on lack of revs - and any REAL high performance motor does not even have VTEC.

Put the bottom end of a K24 on a K20A3. Can you spell, "torque"?

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention - if I were to choose one? A(R) or A2.
what are you talking about? everyone knows that inorder to make hp in small displacement engines you need to rev high!

sure REAL high performance motors don't have VTEC, but more accurately they don't have a VTEC CROSSOVER pont, you could say they're 'always' in VTEC... operating on a cam lobe profile that's most efficent at HIGH rpm's only

as for a K24/K20 hybrid... yeah great... but I never said it was an option...

ok, maybe you interpreted my other post differently than I intended.... a k20a3 isn't bad... s**t, it's a honda motor so you know it's still better than anything out there... i was just surprised at the low red-line.... maybe it's 'cause i'm just so used to seeing my tach needle bounce off of 8200 all the time...

the reason i'm leaning towards a no on an a3 swap for my buddy is because of what handlebarsfsr said: it's not worth it because of complexity and cost

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
putting a k20a3 head on a k24 block gives you... a k24. you end up with exactly what you started with. itsl ike replacing a b20 head with an ls head. the a3 is not a bad motor by any means. it just is the lowest performing, slowest, and least potential of any k series motor. and to me, if you are going to do a swap with the complexity and difficulty and cost of a k swap, you might as well get a much better motor, like a k24 or a k20a2.

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
handlebars is right, it has a weak version of VTEC.

heres how it works:
Low rpms-small cam lobe opens one of 2 intake valves, creating a swirl, great for fuel efficiency
High(er) rpms-normal size lobe opens both intake valves to allow more air into the engine.

At any rpm level, there is no effect of VTEC on the exhaust cam.

So basically, you'd be better off (in my opinion) to go with a K20A2 or if you want the same displacement as a K20, a B18C1 stroked to 2 liters. I know some companys make stroker kits for B-series engines. That way you get REAL VTEC, that works on both cams...

Thats just what i think...

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EXSpeedAddict said:
...At any rpm level, there is no effect of VTEC on the exhaust cam....
on SOHC's yeah... but on DOHC's, VTEC activates on both cams

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
RaYrAy said:
on SOHC's yeah... but on DOHC's, VTEC activates on both cams

incorrect. the k20a3 vtec crossover is at 2500 rpm, and it only affects the intake cam. there is NO vtec on the exhaust cam at any rpm. like ive already said, the a3 sucks.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
incorrect. the k20a3 vtec crossover is at 2500 rpm, and it only affects the intake cam. there is NO vtec on the exhaust cam at any rpm. like ive already said, the a3 sucks.
oh, my bad, i was talking about b-series

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats why i said that you should get either a K20A2 or a stroked B-series (if you want the displacement), so you get VTEC on the exhaust cam as well. i.e. better performance potential

civicvtec1ps

7thgencivic.com Mod
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you can get k20a3 for VERY cheap and swap might be worth it.
+ Turbo kit in the future.

One of ephatch member ran 13.2 with SFP turbo on k20a3
13.5 with Cybernation turbo at 9psi.

+ coupes are slightly lighter than ep3.

K20a3 stock 1/4 Run= Mid 15's average.
K20a2= High 14's.

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RaYrAy said:
i was just surprised at the low red-line.... maybe it's 'cause i'm just so used to seeing my tach needle bounce off of 8200 all the time...
Hondata? 7,700 ain't bad given displacement is up from the previous Si engine.

My argument is just to clarify that it's not that bad of a motor as you intentionally made it sound. ;)

One of ephatch member ran 13.2 with SFP turbo on k20a3
I smell potential.