K20 in a 7th gen 2dr -4dr?

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok... so back to my original question... does any one here have a k-series swap? er know any one with a k-series swap?

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i don't. sorry i can't help you with that...

Fast3rThanU

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since the k20a3 has vtec only on intake.. what about the non tsx k24.. as in the one in the honda element does it have vtec on exhaust?

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i don't think it does, but i'm not absolutely sure...

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RaYrAy said:
ok... so back to my original question... does any one here have a k-series swap? er know any one with a k-series swap?
Quite a few people on 7thGenCivic.com. Hawk... and DC5@EM2 are the only ones I can think of. You have questions? I'm curious... what do you want to know?

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SlammedBlueEM2 said:
Quite a few people on 7thGenCivic.com. Hawk... and DC5@EM2 are the only ones I can think of. You have questions? I'm curious... what do you want to know?
just curious of what their opinions are about the swap... weather they're satisfied or not. also wanted feedback on how difficult the swap was and what kind of timeslips people are running

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the k24 in the crv has vtec. still 160 hp but i forget howmuch tq.

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RaYrAy said:
just curious of what their opinions are about the swap... weather they're satisfied or not. also wanted feedback on how difficult the swap was and what kind of timeslips people are running
I forgot to add that there's a guy from HASport with an EBP (Eternal Blue) ES1 on Honda-tech.

As far as I know, the three of them are very satisfied. I dunno what's up with each car lately, but from what I remember...

The guy from HASport had his ride in a magazine along with other modified imports for a sport compact car comparison. His car did excellent. In a thread, he even added that his car handles better than it did with the D17. The last I heard, he planned on turboing it but that was a while ago. It might already be turboed given it's HASport's car. He is using the K20A2.

Hawk I believe has a Rallye Red EM2. He also has the 5-lug conversion and stock RSX wheels. He uses his ride for auto-X. If I'm not mistaken, his swap was a DIY and bought it from a totalled RSX Type S.

DC5@EM2 possibly has the fastest 7th generation Civic ever. He's boosting his K engine with 25-30PSI with a Cybernation turbo (stage 3 I believe). His car is equipped with the finest K engine, the K20A(R) from the JDM DC5R. By lowering the compression ratio with new pistons, he's able to achieve well over 400HP at the wheel. The last I heard he was running the stock ITR suspension and stock Brembo brakes. I find it funny that not much longer after his new K20A engine, he had a turbo ready for it... and that was that. The ITR Brembos look odd on the new Civic because fitting a wheel that'll clear the calipers makes the wheels stick out from the body. At any rate, there's a site with a lot of info on his car - www.hondawerx.com.

The swap is not difficult. Wiring is a b***h but HASport now has a wiring diagram for the swap. HASport recommends using their beefier, sturdier motor mounts although the stock ones can be used the integrity of the HASport ones are far better. They will also keep the engine a lot more secure in the chassis during cornering. Nothing has to be "shaved" but the battery has to be relocated. The K-series engines were pretty much made for the new Civics, just like B-series engines are for EG Civics. If you were to give your ride to a shop and have them do it, expect for it to be done in a week.

That's all I can tell you from what you want to know. The swaps should prove somewhat superior compared to where the engines were "meant" to be given regular Civics are lighter than the new breed of Integras and Civic hatchbacks. Before the swap, the 7th Gen Civic has near perfect weight distribution for a FWD car (59/41) and although theoretically a new engine could affect those #s negatively, it doesn't seem to show. But when you think about it, the RSX-S's weight distribution is like 70/30-ish. Who knows, I'm just saying no one's had any complaints about it that I've heard.

Last edited:

Xenin

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i read that Honda Asia has sedans with 2.0 DOHC i-Vtec...from the factory. not sure which engine model it was but it put out 155ps. that should be a K20.

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
155ps is 155 in horsepower. (Although the new Integra Type R makes 220PS, not 220HP - translation? 200PS -> 217HP.) The JDM Integra iS produces 160PS which is the same base RSX and Si engine. (Interestingly enough, Honda runs 15s on their iS Integras instead of 16s like their Acura alternates.)

Perhaps it's detuned? The only Civics with K-engines in them in other parts of Asia (excluding Japan) is I believe Thailand.

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you can get the K20A3 for cheap......do it!!! just build the A3, run Hondata K-pro and later F/I if you're not happy. We have a 04 Si on my team, and with just an aftermarket filter on the stock tubing she hits low 15's.....so swappin' it into a coupe, you should do better. I do know a friend who has the K20A2 in his 7th gen coupe (turbo'd now) and he was totally satisfied. with the stock transplant he was hittin' `14's with horrible launches. The motor in itself is a beast plus Hondata K-pro makes competition history. And on top of that, just think of the possibilities once you start lookin' into Frankenstein swaps of the K-series

just my 2 cents

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i am swapping a k20a2 into my 7th gen... my buddy got his rsx-s pwned into an electrical pole but the motor is still perfect. plus his dad is his insurance agent... so long story short im getting a k20a2 for free and getting it put in for 1600 by a guy at ams. my friend made all the arrangements and ordered parts... when i get the dc5 motor ill let u kno how it is... mmmmmmm im sooooo happy, although a little upset about the bad accident... and ill own any si on the street...

I FINALLY GOT MY LICENSE BACK!!! no mods yet... til this... but its a good start

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are one lucky bastard!!! As for the original question....get the latest sport compact...i think they are the ones who just did a k swap. After you see the costs you might change your mind. The B series are going to become hard to find and expensive eventually since they aren't made anymore. Honda makes around 400,000 k series cars a year so the costs will come down and the swaps will become popular and more comon. Hasport makes most of the stuff you need if you decide to do it.