K20C2 swap

96-el-x

I don't think anyone is interested in doing this to an old ek sedan. But what happens if you get a low mileage K20C2 for cheap and you have time but not so much money? I'd like to jam 'er in there but I don't know what I'm up against. Naturally the old D16 needs to be removed, from there I'm lost.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you don't have the money, you won't be able to complete it....

96-el-x

If you don't have the money, you won't be able to complete it....
Time is money and so are parts. If I score parts from the auto mob's junkyards and maybe buy a few OEM items online as well as a few custom pieces and then take all the time I need. I'd say that means a bit of "the money" needs to spent. But it also means a lot more - something that money just can't buy. That's the craziness that's out there still in America. I know I'm not the only one who has the disease. I had planned to film the car crusher as it devoured my '96 LX but I was overcome with intense sadness - the very thought of such a horrible end to my beloved sedan was too much to bear. No, she badly needs a new engine and a return to freeway glory.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's the craziness that's out there still in America. I know I'm not the only one who has the disease. I had planned to film the car crusher as it devoured my '96 LX but I was overcome with intense sadness - the very thought of such a horrible end to my beloved sedan was too much to bear.
:whiner:

Back on topic, do you have the mechanical aptitude, tools and place to do this?
This won't be a direct swap as there is a ton of wiring differences as well as mounting it and the transmission.

I guess my question is, would this mount up the same as a K20z3/K20a3 into a 6th gen?

Last edited:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think even if the swap was free and in theory worked with k swap kits available on the market, it would still be more expensive than a budget b18/b20 swap .

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think even if the swap was free and in theory worked with k swap kits available on the market, it would still be more expensive than a budget b18/b20 swap .
This was my thought.
You can still find the b series motors and will still be cheaper than messing with this newer K series..

96-el-x

Thanks, here are my (probably uniformed) thoughts on the B engines: The B's are considered obsolete by Honda. Which may not matter much but B's are also considered outdated by folks like me who drive 22 year old cars. A red valve cover B engine seems to mean people can automatically sell them for 1000s more because of their "aura". If the valve cover isn't red it still means Honda has stopped selling a lot of parts unique to the engine. I suspect the aftermarket has long dried up from the glory days of the B. All of the B's I see are used, abused, raced, imported, corroded - you name it - and typically over 20 years old. But they would slip into my EK sedan easier after a reman/rebuild.

My thoughts are that a newer mill out of wreck is a factory sealed engine - all nice and tight with power and fuel economy. A B18C on the auction site right now is going for $2000 more than the K20C2 I have a line on. Other B engines are cheaper still of course but none have just 25K miles like the newer motor. Rebuilding another D seems reasonable. I know a trusted machine shop. But the hassle and time and possibility of mistakes give me the heebie-jeebies.

96-el-x

:whiner:

Back on topic, do you have the mechanical aptitude, tools and place to do this?
This won't be a direct swap as there is a ton of wiring differences as well as mounting it and the transmission.

I guess my question is, would this mount up the same as a K20z3/K20a3 into a 6th gen?
Good question. I did the timing belt/water pump which took a whole Sunday probably because I did it twice. I also did the repair in an environment that is best described as hostile to auto repair, but no one really noticed. Traffic was light and the weather agreeable. I have Craftsman tools, 2 Harbor Freight impacts and various other items - fairly complete.

Yes this engine swap is a whole different weekend, and the wiring differences would be better if they were some kind of plug and play affair. I don't know what I'm dealing with here.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd start here, it's a budget K-swap 3 part series. They spent about $3,000 including the swap.

96-el-x

what happened to my post?
I saw this video. Looks like they got a good used engine. but I noticed that the engine mounts are .... really expensive! They appear to be more expensive than a used engine. I think my post was hidden because I said that Hasport mounts are expensive. Sorry about that - let's see if this post sticks.