--

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don't have the money, you won't be able to complete it....

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's the craziness that's out there still in America. I know I'm not the only one who has the disease. I had planned to film the car crusher as it devoured my '96 LX but I was overcome with intense sadness - the very thought of such a horrible end to my beloved sedan was too much to bear.
:whiner:

Back on topic, do you have the mechanical aptitude, tools and place to do this?
This won't be a direct swap as there is a ton of wiring differences as well as mounting it and the transmission.

I guess my question is, would this mount up the same as a K20z3/K20a3 into a 6th gen?

Last edited:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think even if the swap was free and in theory worked with k swap kits available on the market, it would still be more expensive than a budget b18/b20 swap .

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think even if the swap was free and in theory worked with k swap kits available on the market, it would still be more expensive than a budget b18/b20 swap .
This was my thought.
You can still find the b series motors and will still be cheaper than messing with this newer K series..

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd start here, it's a budget K-swap 3 part series. They spent about $3,000 including the swap.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're wasting your time and money on this K20C dream....
For the amount of time and money and labor you'll spend on this, the hassle doesn't seem worth it.

I would find a d16z6 or a y8, have that rebuilt and drop that into the car.
You don't need different mounts, you can use your existing wiring, transmission and axles, have the car up and running in no time.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dilapidated cars and wacky ideas, the stress level is huge because taking the bus and riding a bike ain't gonna cut it man.
Which is why I said find another 92-00 D series vtec, rebuild and swap that in. You already have all the parts that you can interchange.
If you are not mechanically inclined and can't have the car be down for a long time, I would rebuild a D series or at least find a decent one to just drop in.

For the cost of parts, time and labor, unless you're doing a legit K series swap, such as one from a Type S/Si or even larger displacement K, I don't see the benefit.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is this a diary? :lol:

At least upload a picture of the car if this is going to be a build thread.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The L15B1 engine is in the 2017 Honda fit.
Gotta be easier than the K20C2.
How do you figure?
You'll have to re-engineer everything to work and fit, transmission, axles, shift linkage, motor mounts, then lets not forget about the wiring headache.

This is flat out stupid, work smarter, not harder.

Find another D series 92-00 vtec motor, spend the money to have it rebuit, literally drop it into your shitbox and be done.
Less headache and less money wasted than these other boneheaded swaps....

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do know the earlier K's - all of 'em - were heavier than the humble D16, all the B's too.
What is an "earlier" K?
The 2L K series was heavier than the D by about 100lbs, but only outweighed the B by 10 lbs.
The 2.4 outweighs the 2L by 10lbs or so.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you professor Baker.
There isn't any reason to be a smart ass, if you're referring to something, be specific, instead of vague, general and over dramatic.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Part of my last comment mentioned Honda changing the way they 'cast' their engine blocks - do you know anything about that?
No, I have not read or heard anything regarding that.

Rebuilding a D seems like a crap shoot, I keep reading horror stories of engines that weren't done right all over the internet because no one cares and they are in it for the money and don't even measure stuff.
Those are the people that are probably rebuilding it themselves (or having their "Honda guy" do it) and NOT taking it to a competent engine rebuilder who knows what they are doing and will do it the right way.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know what I'm dealing with here.
Are you planning on asking your dealership for "measurements and proprietary data needed to swap a K20C2 engine into a 1996 civic sedan" ?
They are going to tell you to take a hike before you can finish the sentence.

You need to determine if you have the budget, tools, garage space, secondary transportation and helping hands to perform any engine swap.

I would imagine the K20C2 and C1 block/transmission dimensions are similar. It appears to be a tight fit from Hasports video. If you're serious about the swap, they would be the people to talk to over the dealership.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well there you have it. Honda doesn't recommend the modification - but all is not lost. They recommend I pay a visit to the dealer!
Big shock there, they don't care.

This whole doom and gloom thread, the car is rusty and aging, I have no money, blah, blah, blah...we get, get in line like the rest of us.

From the sounds of it, the car needs more than a motor and this swap will never happen.
Save some money, buy another car just like every other person would have to do.