keeping engine cool ??

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JaydemDorifto said:
you could do a cowl hood with spacers where the hood is held in place by bolts, my friend has it on his integra and it does wonders for under hood temps, as all the air is allowed to vent out
actually this really doesn't work. The air outside the engine bay is at a higher pressure at speed than the air inside, thus the air inside stays inside. It sounds like such a great idea because it's so simple, but when you explore the airflow you can see that it doesn't work.

Look at SCCA racers, even Spoon's competition rigs, none of them do it.

JaydemDorifto

It's Shocking.
5+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
actually this really doesn't work. The air outside the engine bay is at a higher pressure at speed than the air inside, thus the air inside stays inside. It sounds like such a great idea because it's so simple, but when you explore the airflow you can see that it doesn't work.

Look at SCCA racers, even Spoon's competition rigs, none of them do it.

What would the point of a vented hood be then? the air flows in from the front comes up through the radiator, and over the engine, then out of normally the hood, such as mugen integra's which not only releases heat but provides downforce across the hood.

Just because people don't always do it, does not mean it won't work.

Aside, it's not as though it's truly any different other than positioning, and the lack of extra downforce across the hood it just comes up to the windshield

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's a big difference between have a vented hood at the front with a purpose build front end and putting some spacers on the hinges of your hood. The main difference being one works and the other doesn't. I'm not shooting you down for fun, I'm a sports writer who covers motorsports and I've asked around about this because I always thought it would work fine, not one car out of a weekly roster of 140 cars uses the washer trick, and that includes Hondas and various other compacts with high-strung 4 cylinder engines.

Here's a pic:

That VW specifically, runs around 9000rpm with his 1.8 which has been bored out to a 2.2, he's creating some serious heat, and yes, that's a stock hood. The other rigs are based off the 4-cylinder mustang, they're all bored to 2.8 so they don't spin so fast, around 6500-7000 tops.

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys thanks a lot. You all helped out a lot...mainly just wanted to make sure that it was normal since I'm new to the b-series motors. Thanks a lot.

91SiVTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
don't forget Heat Wrap! .....uhh.. do you have ta take off the headers to put on the heat wrap?......cuz im lazy.......but i would probly do it ifi have ta...

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dido the head sheild, but you have to understand that your head is attached to your block with get very hot while the car is running, so it will still get hot either way.