keeping engine cool ??

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys I was just wondering some ways to keep my engine cool. I just did a b16a swap and my valve cover gets real hot. My temp gauge is fine. And I already have a cold air intake. I'm running 4-1 stainless header and stainless exhaust but not runniing a cat. Could that be part of the reason its hot? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
- seth -

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
u could try intake mani heatshield gaskets. goes b/t the intake mani and head. but some companies have been known to actually melt so do ur research. if u search for posts under my name u should find one about this. theres some good info in there i think.

u could try passwordjdm's aluminum cooling plate but who knows how much that does lol. or maybe a vented hood or raised hood.

or just buy bags of ice and put em on ur engine everywhere u go :lol:

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea I was planning on getting the hondata I'M gasket when I get my skunk2 mani. Would a new valve cover gasket help at all.. Cuz I literally almost burned my hand after touching it.
Also, since I did my engine swap my radiator fan hasn't worked, any suggestions with that?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont see why a valve cover gasket would do nething. all it really does is seal the head and block together and keep friction away.

no idea on radiator fan but prolly a good idea to swap in a new one lol.

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well you could get a cooling plate, fix you fan so it turns on. you can get like a spoon or mugen fan switch so your fan turns on at a cooler temp. mugen radiator cap lowers the boiling point of the coolant. vented hood or maybe do the washer trick so your hood sits up in the back

Last edited:

Jason-

jdm king :p
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go to Shucks, or Checkers or whatever one you have and buy/ask about there fan adjustable fan switch. My brother bought one... runs about $50... and it is adjustable between like 80degress and 250 or something like that. It's crazy.

Its worth the money by far I think. Best of luck man.

-Jason

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if your temp gauge reads normal temperature you have nothing to worry about. normally the valve cover doesnt come close to being as hot as the block gets. so if youre not over heating dont even worry about it. you might want to throw a heat shield over your headers though

91SiVTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shiznit said:
if your temp gauge reads normal temperature you have nothing to worry about. normally the valve cover doesnt come close to being as hot as the block gets. so if youre not over heating dont even worry about it. you might want to throw a heat shield over your headers though
A stock heat shield, would fit over like a DC sports headers?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
91SiVTEC said:
no, it prob won't fit, Unless you kinda bend the sheild a bit.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
91SiVTEC said:
it wont, use heat wrap

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its an internal combustion engine... How the hell do you not expect the valve cover to get really hot to the touch?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Revolver said:
Its an internal combustion engine... How the hell do you not expect the valve cover to get really hot to the touch?
Exactly what I was thinking.

The valve cover is hot because there are explosions happening directly under it. Explosions create heat. If your temp guage is normal and your fluids are fine don't worry about it. Theres really not much you can do to make your valve cover or underhood temps cooler.

JaydemDorifto

It's Shocking.
5+ Year Member
you could do a cowl hood with spacers where the hood is held in place by bolts, my friend has it on his integra and it does wonders for under hood temps, as all the air is allowed to vent out

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JaydemDorifto said:
you could do a cowl hood with spacers where the hood is held in place by bolts, my friend has it on his integra and it does wonders for under hood temps, as all the air is allowed to vent out
His valve cover will still be hot though, the heat comes from inside the motor. Will it lower underhood temps? Probably, but the valve cover will still be hot to the touch. IMO you just gotta get used to it, especially because it's completley normal.

JaydemDorifto

It's Shocking.
5+ Year Member
Going-West said:
His valve cover will still be hot though, the heat comes from inside the motor. Will it lower underhood temps? Probably, but the valve cover will still be hot to the touch. IMO you just gotta get used to it, especially because it's completley normal.
I just meant underhood temps, i know the VC will always be hot :]