Knock Sensor (1999 Honda Civic Ex, 1.6L)

...3randon3

The location of the Knock Sensor is slightly above the Oil Filter which is located under the backside of the Intake Manifold (IM). Ive heard of people taking off the whole IM, but really, you don't need to. The easiest way, for me at least, was to jack the vehicle (vic) up and place the stands in the proper positions underneath the vic. After, situate yourself comfortably and most importantly safely under the vic. Locate the sensor (above the oil filter) and disconnect the connector. Once you release the connector, spray some electrical cleaner inside of it (as a precaution and so you dont have to worry about a bad connection) right before you are ready to take the Knock Sensor (KS) out. The tools I used: 27mm deep-well socket, 1/2 extension 92" long) 1/2 universal joint and a 1/2 ratchet. Once you release the KS enough, you can unscrew the rest-by-hand. Before I put the new KS in, I just grabbed a clean rag or paper towel and wiped the threads off the inside (female portion which is connected to the block). Then, once that is done, hold the new KS (where the connector hooks up at) with your index and middle-finger, g$109.99 *plus tax = $119. I found the part on Amazon and I bought it for $11. Since I was going out of town, I installed the AutoZone one and when I got home, the one I ordered from Amazon was waiting in my mailbox; therefore, I put the one from Amazon in the AutoZone box and booooom, I got my $119 back lol TOOOO EASY! Yeah, I may have lost the warranty, but Idc about that because I am the warranty. I fix everything :D

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

Just an FYI, you might not want to admit to stealing on a public forum...

Do you have a tech question though? This section is for questions / help. Let me know, otherwise I'm going to move this appropriately.

Thanks!