Knocking Noise from top of motor 2001 1.7 Vtec

leemaster119

Hi, i just bought a 2001 Honda Civic for $150. I put a new clutch in it. Now i need to figure how to fix the knock coming from the top of the motor. What could it be? I adjusted all the valves and its still there it sounds like a rocker arm smacking the valve cover. ? Can someone please help me!

wrenchhead427

Can you do A compression test to see if you have a bad rod bearing or a wrist pin?

wrenchhead427

RonJ's right, I use a long screw driver to listen and pinpoint, a little more old school i guess and if your not careful you can harpoon yourself. I like compression tests as they can rule out a few things right away and its free if you have a tester. Did you inspect the cover for any signs of impact from something? did you wiggle all the rocker arms? If you put your hand on the valve cover when it's cold can you feel anything tapping on the valve cover? How does it run?

leemaster119

I did put my hand on the valve cover feels like something is smacking . I have not done a compresion test on it . And I have not wiggled the rocker arms.. And it runs fine. I can drive it just fine it just has a terrible knock . This car has sat for 2 years before I bought it and didn't move at all. The guy said when he parked it it never had that noise to it

Steven13

take a pic of whats under the valve cover. disconnect the fuel injector plugs, remove spark plugs, disconnect the distributor plug. then turn the motor over buy either having someone in car doing it or use a starter button hooked to starter solenoid and positive pole of battery. you should be able to see anything flopping around

leemaster119

Looked at the valve cover today and there is a defiant mark of something smacking the valve cover . And I wiggled the rocker arms some of the have a lot of play in them.

Take a look at my valve cover and let me know

Last edited by a moderator:

my93civic

Looks like you know what valve its coming from but what do the rockers look like.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

RonJ

Banned
what do you mean what do the rockers look like ?
On the engine side, post a picture of what is hitting the marked spot inside the valve cover.

The dark tarnish your see inside the valve cover suggests that the engine was poorly maintained.

RonJ

Banned
Take the next logical step. Match the mark inside the valve cover to the part that has likely created the mark. Point a red arrow at it in your picture.

RonJ

Banned
That's a big circle - not precise. I assume all of it is not striking the valve cover. It marked the inside of the valve cover. Where's the corresponding mark on the rocker arm assembly?