Leakdown Test

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tuesday or wednesday I am havin a leakdown test run b/c I have some excessive crankcase pressure that was blowing my dipstick out. The dipstick stays in now only b/c I replaced it, but that doesn't deny the fact that the pressure is still there. I will be putting a catch can on as soon as this is done and I receice good news.

My question is, I have a b16a2 with a greddy 18g runnin on 8lbs...what results do I want to see??? I really don't know much about the leakdown test, except the fact I need one lol

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm not sure what a leakdown test is going to tell you about crank case pressure unless you have some bad rings, but here is some more info for you. Im not sure a leakdown test is what you are looking for.

A leak down or "cylinder leakage" test is similar to a compression test in that it tells you how well your engine's cylinders are sealing. But instead of measuring pressure, it measures pressure loss.

A leak down test requires the removal of all the spark plugs. The crankshaft is then turned so that each piston is at top dead center (both valves closed) when each cylinder is tested. Most people start with cylinder number one and follow the engine's firing order.

A threaded coupling attached to a leakage gauge is screwed into a spark plug hole. Compressed air (80 to 90 psi) is then fed into the cylinder.

An engine in great condition should generally show only 5 to 10% leakage. An engine that's still in pretty good condition may show up to 20% leakage. But more than 30% leakage indicates trouble.

The neat thing about a leakage test (as opposed to a compression test) is that it's faster and easier to figure out where the pressure is going. If you hear air coming out of the tailpipe, it indicates a leaky exhaust valve. Air coming out of the throttle body or carburetor would point to a leaky intake valve. Air coming out of the breather vent or PCV valve fitting would tell you the rings and/or cylinders are worn.

A leakage test can also be used in conjunction with a compression test to diagnose other kinds of problems.

A cylinder that has poor compression, but minimal leakage, usually has a valvetrain problem such as a worn cam lobe, broken valve spring, collapsed lifter, bent push rod, etc.

If all the cylinders have low compression, but show minimal leakage, the most likely cause is incorrect valve timing. The timing belt or chain may be off a notch or two.

If compression is good and leakage is minimal, but a cylinder is misfiring or shows up weak in a power balance test, it indicates a fuel delivery (bad injector) or ignition problem (fouled spark plug or bad plug wire).

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome...I appreciate the info. So then I guess my next question is whether or not that is truly what I need to do? If I do have this excessive pressure, then where would it be comin from/why is it doing so? Would the catch can actually solve the problem then???

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Where is your valve cover pressure relief routed to? The little opening just above your oil cap. Did you route it back into the intake or is it plugged?

A leakdown test WILL confirm if it is or isn't your rings allowing the pressure to escape the combustion chamber and into the crankcase, causing your dip stick to pop out.

Also, I know I asked it in your other thread, but what are you tuned on? The Greddy Kit is only designed to be run at the normal wastegate setting of 5.5-6psi. Without upgrading the fuel system to run 8psi safely you could have done some major damage, causing your rings/pistons to leak horribly. How does the car run?

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tuned on a Honda S300...When it comes to the fuel system it's mostly stock other than 310's...It runs great actually...Never a problem...The relief valve is routed back to the intake.

I did notice that the hose running from the pcv valve to the intake manifold has been cut...there is nothing coming from the pcv valve and there is a little bit of hose comin from the manifold but it has been plugged, is this normal??? It doesn't seem right to me but I don't work on cars, i sell them!!! lol

Thanks alot man!!!

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your PCV could be clogged shut...That should either have a filter Catch can or go to the intake.

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm bout to order a JMF vented oil catch can...my next question is since it's vented, do I hook the hose from the pcv valve(directly from the crankcase) and the hose from the valve cover then block off the inlet to the intake???

Just wanna make sure b4 I buy the wrong stuff