Left foot braking

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anyone know how to do this?!?! feel like i've got 2 right feet everytime i try it.

edit...not left foot braking...using the heel/toe method, my bad

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Toe on the brake pedal, pivot your heel (most use the side of their foot) over to the gas pedal and blip the throttle for a smooth downshift while braking. I use the half-half method (half toe on brake, half toe availible to blip the throttle as the brake pedal is pressed) since my feet are too big to heel-toe (heel hits the floorboard when I pivot).

Each person does it a little different. You just need practice to find what you are comfortable with.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you British by chance??? my buddy from there says the same thing, blip the throttle, feather the clutch....

so this will sound dumb....what exactly is blipping the throttle? just a quick rev like when double clutching?

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not British. I didn't know blipping was an english english term. :lol:

Blipping the throttle is doing a fast press of the gas pedal to raise the engine speed to match the drivetrain speed of the lower gear you are shifting into.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No he's not british .... it's just the propper terms.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i love heel-toeing just cuz i do it so well (not to boast but i do :roll:).

left foot on clutch obviously. most of the upper half of my foot is on the brake and i turn my foot about 45-60 degrees and hit the throttle with like 3/4 of my heel (or tap...depends on how fast im going and what i shift to) and just as i release my right foot, i kinda drop the clutch (not harsh but let it out quick). 90%+ of the time, u cant feel the transition but sometimes, if u give too much gas obviously the rpm's drop quick to catch the gear.

btw i wear a 8 1/2 shoe size so if u could imagine, i have tiny tiny feet. plus, im asian so im built for this kinda driving :lol:

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn my size 11's :lol:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my girlfriends 11 year old brother wears 1 or 2 (cant remember) size bigger than me :(.

Damn my asian...ness

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Size 9.5 here... i have no problem attempting heel-toeing 8)

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can heel-toe with my 12's in the RSX. My Fiat wasn't having any of it though.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bah, everytime i try, i keep f**king it up. coudl be my 11 1/2 clumsy feet

double clutching, i've got down pat

i can take corners really hard and fast, and come out of them accelerating without using the heel/toe. think it really gives you much of an advantage?

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
No he's not british .... it's just the propper terms.
I've never heard of the term before, at least not over here. Only time i've heard/read it was on british based websites about rallying and from my buddy Pip (the English dude)

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
bah, everytime i try, i keep f**king it up. coudl be my 11 1/2 clumsy feet

double clutching, i've got down pat

i can take corners really hard and fast, and come out of them accelerating without using the heel/toe. think it really gives you much of an advantage?
heel-toe is:
1) smoother and easier on the drivetrain.
2) faster because you're keeping the engine in the power band.
3) Did I mention smoother? Smooth = fast.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can use double clutching to really accomplish the same thing though. I can go around a traffic circle here for example, going into it doing about 80km/h and come out of the circle, accelerating coming up to 95 or so on the way out without touching the brake. Just using engine braking...

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can't engine brake as fast as you can normally brake, thus meaning you can't go as deep into the corner and you won't be able to carry as much speed.

Plus a traffic circle isn't the same as a hairpin corner.

2 people in identical cars. One heel-toes and the other engine brakes. The heel-toe guy will go in and come out faster.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
you can't engine brake as fast as you can normally brake, thus meaning you can't go as deep into the corner and you won't be able to carry as much speed.

Plus a traffic circle isn't the same as a hairpin corner.
Agreed, but that was just an example. I usually come in low into the corner, throw it into 2nd for abut 3/4 of the turn, and then accelerate out of the last 1/4 in 3rd and away i go

i've never been on a track, and i'm really curious to see how i'd do, even with stock s**t. just always looking for ways to try to improve, and take the corners harder and faster. Winning a race is only 50% the car, and 50% driver, maybe even less % for the car part...

just so you know too..c.razy driving like that with the traffic circle and other stuff i do, i only do at like 3, 4 am when no one else is on the road