lethal6's VR6 GLI

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Dang that thing is so clean! I used to have a front camera in my wide body NSX many years ago and LOVED it for parking near curbs. Totally forgot about how handy they were until the Odyssey I bought had a rear camera with parking sensors. I just wish it had one up front again. It's so useful! One of the best mods you can do IMO for lowered cars but it's just all around handy for any car.

I just realized you were in WA. I'm planning to drive up a car (Trying to decide between 3-4 types right now) from the lower 48 mid Aug and hopping on the ferry near Seattle to get to Alaska. When I pass through, maybe we could meet up and shoot the breeze before I have to board. Check out your car/s, grab a bite...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All those features is what I want. How much was yours?

And when you talk about pairing the wires are you saying that I should match them by cutting where the harness from the car meets the aftermarket head unit? Like if this one had an adapter already I would cut off that one and match it up to the new one or what?
Mine was just under $500 all said and done. I picked up a bunch of things in the order though. My head unit was on sale for $350 from crutchfield at that time.

Here is what I would do. Pull the head unit and cut the wires just down from the harness that goes into the unit (before you get to the original car harness). That way you have wire colors that match aftermarket standards and you can just put red to red, yellow to yellow, black to black, etc.

Car looks really sweet, can you post up pics of the 1981 Rabbit, and a1986 Cabrio ?
Will dig out some pics and put them at the bottom of this reply. I don't have much from when I had them. I was into turning and burning then and didn't take much pictures along the way. I can only find a couple pics of the cabrio and one of the rabbit. I will post pics of my best friends 1980 rabbit to fill the void though! :D

Dang that thing is so clean! I used to have a front camera in my wide body NSX many years ago and LOVED it for parking near curbs. Totally forgot about how handy they were until the Odyssey I bought had a rear camera with parking sensors. I just wish it had one up front again. It's so useful! One of the best mods you can do IMO for lowered cars but it's just all around handy for any car.

I just realized you were in WA. I'm planning to drive up a car (Trying to decide between 3-4 types right now) from the lower 48 mid Aug and hopping on the ferry near Seattle to get to Alaska. When I pass through, maybe we could meet up and shoot the breeze before I have to board. Check out your car/s, grab a bite...
I am about 45 minutes out of Seattle. I hate that city! :lol: Depending on the time you roll through I might be out of town. My cousin is getting married mid August. Haven't gotten the official date yet. It is looking like 2nd or 3rd weekend. I am thinking about taking 2 weeks off and spending time with them the week before and staying on the lake the week after. You could swing by work and I can show you some killer Porsches if I am in town, then hook up with Crash and see some electric go-fasts maybe.

On to the pics!

Here is my old '74 Super Beetle:

This was my 1600cc motor with dual Kadrons and full MSD ignition:

Custom door panels and rear speaker shelf. I found some online and didn't want to pay the arm and leg that the guy wanted so I made my own. Also had electric windows and door locks with remote through the alarm. Only thing it needed was AC and it would have been perfect.

Dash and interior with autometer Carbon Speedo, tach, push button start, scat dragfast shifter, and .

2332 turbo in a friends beetle:

Front strut bar on a beetle? Sure!

Only pictures I could find of the Cabrio. It was lowered on neuspeed springs, had exhaust, and a short shifter. Also had racing buckets in it. Nothing special just a little put around car. This was my first VW.

What a mess in there!!

This is my best friend's '80 Rabbit. This thing has come a long way. Full roll cage (pics are from half cage and X-bar), gutted interior, fully build N/A motor, straight exhaust with a stinger out the back, full MSD ignition, new paint, wheels, and drivetrain. This thing absolutely flys. Light as hell and loud as hell. The damn thing holds over 10 quarts of oil FFS. I love this car!!

Last edited:

Caleb.N

all those cars are sweeeeet... like da cabrio the best, your friends ride did the mk1s come stock with the square headlight in America? Il post a few pics up of the mk1s in S.A later.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all those cars are sweeeeet... like da cabrio the best, your friends ride did the mk1s come stock with the square headlight in America? Il post a few pics up of the mk1s in S.A later.
Yeah the early ones did. Pre-80 I believe.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lethal, you should make a build thread for your cbr =)

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Holy sh*t. Pardon my french but when did u get a build thread? Lol. I must be missing it every time its bumped.

Caleb.N

What? That's just like how they kept making the VW beetle in Mexico until 2005. I guess people don't like messing with success.
It was a car that was always in demand here coz it was light on gas, cheap to maintain and the guys here do insane stuff to it coz it only weighs about 850kgs, I heard that hondas are affordable cars in the U.S, unfortunatly here they not so affordable to maintain but the vws and toyotas are the popular and affordable cars here.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It was a car that was always in demand here coz it was light on gas, cheap to maintain and the guys here do insane stuff to it coz it only weighs about 850kgs, I heard that hondas are affordable cars in the U.S, unfortunatly here they not so affordable to maintain but the vws and toyotas are the popular and affordable cars here.
Yea Honda's here a really pretty cheap. How much would one be in S.A.? Sorry to threadjack lethal.

Caleb.N

Yea Honda's here a really pretty cheap. How much would one be in S.A.? Sorry to threadjack lethal.
yeah sorry Lethal, You see cars are generally much expensive ere than the U.S, for example I bought my 2000 150i civic for R40 000, which would be around $4000, and the price I payed was great coz it was in immaculate condition, but its not really the price of the Hondas here it more has to do with maintenance parts like for example I would pay R90 ($9) for a cambelt for a vw and for a honda it would be $20, but that never stopped me from buying a honda lol

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not much to report. Only thing lately has been finishing the black out of the emblems (plastidip) and also color matched the inside of the VW rear logo to make it "pop" out.

Took the rack off for now, put the VW center caps back in, gave her a bath, and buffed out the paint.

Working on figuring out how to get one of these in. Found out a way to shut of individual airbags through the VAG-COM (VW version of a scan tool). I can shut off the steering wheel airbag and still have the curtain, "A" pillar, seat side, and passenger dash air bags still on.

Can't say how I acquired the wheel, but I 100% sure as hell didn't steal it. Was free though.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Someone working the street corners huh
Yeah, some dude at the gas station. Oddly he also had a bunch of cologne and some surround sound systems in his van. I also saw a 3D projector set up too... :shock:

Seriously though. I guess I could mention it as it isn't like they are going to find me on here and it isn't like I am ever going to sell it because legally I can't....

It was a warranty thing. We replaced the steering wheel in a newer Porsche because of a defect in the tiny screen that has different warning and display lights. The "sport chrono" light wouldn't light up. The new wheel wouldn't code with the old airbag so we had to replace that as well. This ended up on my scrap list and instead of destroying it, it ended up in my display cabinet at home (along with a gauge cluster and another wheel out of a Cayenne). :cool: