lights work dimmer doesnt

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics' started by scarhead92, Nov 2, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. scarhead92

scarhead92 New Member Registered VIP

i have a 96 dx. my dash lights tail lights headlights dome light everything works except my dimmer wont dim the dash lights been googling it to no avail. ive always been told that when your dash lights dont work its a bad dimmer but ive used two different dimmer switches so idk what to do next. any help is appreciated

2. scarhead92

26 views no replies??? come one guys

3. Jersey8

Jersey8 B20: Detroit Muscle! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

try tracing the wires from going in and out of the dimmer. head upstream on the inputs, head downstream on the outputs. compare it to a wiring diagram.

you mentioned you used 2 dimmers already, did you wire it up correctly?

4. scarhead92

k ill trace it. i didnt wire anything up its the stock dimmer switch. i just unplugged one and plugged in another. i got a multimeter i just cant figure out where to start testing

5. reichbc

reichbc "Brandon"

Dimmer relay. Consult the fuse diagrams. Check wiring to/from. Sounds as if it's been bypassed to keep the lights bright.

Good luck!

6. scarhead92

i shouldve added earlier. it used to work and i didnt use it during the summer for whatever reason and about a week ago tried to dim and they wouldnt. but ill crack it open tomorrow hopefully and strart tracing