XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This. Most here would agree as well. Those headlights are ricey as hell, but if that is what you like...rice away it's your money and you are the one that has to look at it everyday as well as take all the flack and flaming for it.

Keep in mind, like Idiaz said, the quality is going to be very low and the fitment is probably going to be very terrible. OEM with a proper retrofit done is hands down, the way to go.
:wstupid:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HeX, if you were in my shoes, what would you add to her?
Like Lethal6 said, I'd worry about the body work once the engine's had a full tune-up and everything runs tip-top. I agree not to go with aftermarket headlights because they never fit perfectly. If it were mine and intended to re-use the current headlights, I'd have the housings color-matched to the body when the front is repairs (excluding any reflective part vital to the bulbs projections). While its at the shop, I'd sand down the tint and have them re-clear coated with the car's clear, not aerosol clear. Otherwise, I'd find great condition OEM headlights and do the same. If not a projector retro-fit kit, I'd install 5000K PIAA bulbs. Definitely remove the front plate mount and paint the front & rear H emblems in gloss black. Consider using gloss black to also paint the rear taillight housings.

Boogi

This. Most here would agree as well. Those headlights are ricey as hell, but if that is what you like...rice away it's your money and you are the one that has to look at it everyday as well as take all the flack and flaming for it.

Keep in mind, like Idiaz said, the quality is going to be very low and the fitment is probably going to be very terrible. OEM with a proper retrofit done is hands down, the way to go.
Can you read? I haven't done anything to the vehicle yet. I'm not going to let easily replaceable headlights stop me from buying the rest of the vehicle. You're right, it is my money and my car. I'm here for recommendations, not to have my car be called "ricey" by some dude on a forum. If I wanted opinions on how the lights looked, I would've asked.

Like Lethal6 said, I'd worry about the body work once the engine's had a full tune-up and everything runs tip-top. I agree not to go with aftermarket headlights because they never fit perfectly. If it were mine and intended to re-use the current headlights, I'd have the housings color-matched to the body when the front is repairs (excluding any reflective part vital to the bulbs projections). While its at the shop, I'd sand down the tint and have them re-clear coated with the car's clear, not aerosol clear. Otherwise, I'd find great condition OEM headlights and do the same. If not a projector retro-fit kit, I'd install 5000K PIAA bulbs. Definitely remove the front plate mount and paint the front & rear H emblems in gloss black. Consider using gloss black to also paint the rear taillight housings.
What HID kit would you recommend (if any)? Because if I could do like you said and have them sand down the current fittings, I'd be happy getting a projector HID kit.

Edit: Something like http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-stage-3-kit-h1.html?carDisplay=2011+Honda+Civic+Coupe&preselect=RELAY-H11,RELAY-9005,RELAY-9006,MH16-LH,MINIGAT,GRAPH,APOLLO-P,APOLLO2-CIR-P,APOLLO3-P,BULLET-P,G37-P,GAT-P,GG2-P,GTI-P,MCR-P,ORBIT-P,PANA-P,G37C-P,XB-BALLAST-35,AMP-IGNITER-R,D2S-IGNITER-R,IGNITER-AMP,IGNITER-D2S,XB2-H-ONE-5#.VcLPDvlsVx8

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can you read? I haven't done anything to the vehicle yet. I'm not going to let easily replaceable headlights stop me from buying the rest of the vehicle. You're right, it is my money and my car. I'm here for recommendations, not to have my car be called "ricey" by some dude on a forum. If I wanted opinions on how the lights looked, I would've asked.
Hey, he's just giving his opinion, which many of us would agree with. You gotta have a thicker hide on this forum because some of us, including myself, can and will say much worse in certain instances. Just be glad you're on a forum with honest people and not ball-ticklers.

What HID kit would you recommend (if any)? Because if I could do like you said and have them sand down the current fittings, I'd be happy getting a projector HID kit.
I cant really recommend a specific HID kit because I dont use HIDs, but search for it because its been covered well and I know there's one very reputable site a lot have used. I think the website you edited in is it. Keep in mind that a retro-fit kit adds the projector lens that your headlights dont come with. Notice the 2 round lenses in the middle with the chrome shrouds to the right. Thats used to mod it into your headlights to make them look factory.

Last edited:

Boogi

Hey, he's just giving his opinion, which many of us would agree with. You gotta have a thicker hide on this forum because some of us, including myself, can and will say much worse in certain instances. Just be glad you're on a forum with honest people and not ball-ticklers.

I cant really recommend a specific HID kit because I dont use HIDs, but search for it because its been covered well and I know there's one very reputable site a lot have used.
Fair enough. Do you use retrofitted as well?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
While I havent used a projector kit and its been years since I had HIDs, I would definitely consider their kits if I wanted a packaged kit. In my case, I will eventually try to custom make my own because I got an awesome deal on some projector lenses.

Last edited:

Boogi

Keep in mind that a retro-fit kit means it adds the projector lens that your headlights dont come with. With that said, I havent used a projector kit and its been years since I had HIDs.
Ahh, I see.. Thank you. I appreciate your help, HeX.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did I call your car rice? Go back and read it again. You asked for recommendations and I gave one not to get those junk lights. Those HEADLIGHTS you linked from eBay are rice. Hands down. Sorry if the truth is too much, it's a public forum expect opinions. Mine was held back, there are many others that won't be.

Hex, get your spoon out, quit teasing him already and just feed him.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One more thing, after taking a look at my headlights, do you reckon I could sand that down to just a clear coat? Or should I not even try.
If you havent done sanding before then you may not want to risk doing it wrong until you've done some simple projects first. Google and youtube some similar projects and be honest with yourself if you feel you can do it properly because if headlights arent prepped right then the clear wont stick well. Just let the shop do it.
Nah. He's new but at least he's asking reasonable question. He's nowhere near the usual newby fools we get that I bash because they expect us not to spoon feed them but chew it and regurgitate it into their open mouths.

Boogi

Did I call your car rice? Go back and read it again. You asked for recommendations and I gave one not to get those junk lights. Those HEADLIGHTS you linked from eBay are rice. Hands down. Sorry if the truth is too much, it's a public forum expect opinions. Mine was held back, there are many others that won't be.

Regardless, I'd rather have help and recommendations from HeX and the others who can tell I don't have a clue what I'm doing, instead of somebody who seems like they have higher expectations from a first Honda owner, not saying you necessarily do, just seems that way. So, thanks for what recommendations you did make.

If you havent done sanding before then you may not want to risk doing it wrong until you've done some simple projects first. Google and youtube some similar projects and be honest with yourself if you feel you can do it properly because if headlights arent prepped right then the clear wont stick well. Just let the shop do it.

Nah. He's new but at least he's asking reasonable question. He's nowhere near the usual newby fools we get that I bash because they expect us not to spoon feed them but chew it and regurgitate it into their open mouths.
Yeah, I've done some research. I believe mine was spray-tinted and not vinyl, so removal should be easy.. Just gotta grab up some fine-grit sanding blocks.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, I've done some research. I believe mine was spray-tinted and not vinyl, so removal should be easy.. Just gotta grab up some fine-grit sanding blocks.
You better use a soft block. Otherwise, you'll sand them unevenly. Vinyl tints would've been easy. They just peel off with little to no residue.

Boogi

You better use a soft block. Otherwise, you'll sand them unevenly. Vinyl tints would've been easy. They just peel off with little to no residue.
I could easily do paper too.. Or better yet, I can wrap a foam block in whatever paper i want.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Regardless, I'd rather have help and recommendations from HeX and the others who can tell I don't have a clue what I'm doing, instead of somebody who seems like they have higher expectations from a first Honda owner, not saying you necessarily do, just seems that way. So, thanks for what recommendations you did make.
I have just been here long enough to see enough "newbs" come through, rice out their car, and end up either leaving in a fit after getting torn up by the rest of the community, or buying the good stuff (more than like OEM in the end) because they grow out of it quickly. It's a huge waste of money that almost all of us have been through.

If I can save a greenhorn from the same fate I try. Harsh is the only way that gets through to your generation, so that is how it goes down.
This 100% The fastest way to ruin those headlights is by sanding them with the wrong stuff. This isn't metal we are talking about. Going too aggressive will leave them chalky white and worse off than they already were.

Try to Google it. There might be someone that was in the same boat and sanded their's back to normal. Learn from their mistakes.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have just been here long enough to see enough "newbs" come through, rice out their car, and end up either leaving in a fit after getting torn up by the rest of the community, or buying the good stuff (more than like OEM in the end) because they grow out of it quickly. It's a huge waste of money that almost all of us have been through.

If I can save a greenhorn from the same fate I try. Harsh is the only way that gets through to your generation, so that is how it goes down.
Thats a good explanation of why most of us have little tolerance towards many of these young, lazy and/or ignorant members, amongst several other reasons. But again, Boogi at least asked questions and doesnt refute the answers he gets like most of the fools do. Just make sure to do all the research you can first before asking questions and be open to criticism, some less constructive than others. We have alot of members in their 30s and older and our generation doesnt play that over-encouragement infantalizing crap that most younger generations were taught.

This 100% . The fastest way to ruin those headlights is by sanding them with the wrong stuff. This isn't metal we are talking about. Going too aggressive will leave them chalky white and worse off than they already were.

Try to Google it. There might be someone that was in the same boat and sanded their's back to normal. Learn from their mistakes.
Back the the topic at hand. Ive sanded alot of plastic over the years so experience has taught me the importance of proper sanding techniques, moreso on clear plastic.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You could always do what I did... find a set of cheap OEM lights... do a retrofit project (I used the exact same kit you linked to earlier), install, and then sell your old headlights to make a little bit of your money back from the retrofit project. It's of course more expensive than cleaning your current lights, but IMO the retrofit is one of the best looking mods I've made.

Boogi

This 100% The fastest way to ruin those headlights is by sanding them with the wrong stuff. This isn't metal we are talking about. Going too aggressive will leave them chalky white and worse off than they already were.

I don't appreciate that "harsh is the only way to gets through to your generation" remark. My age shouldn't matter at all. Everyone is different, therefore everyone reacts & learns differently. Grouping me with my "generation" is ignorant and absurd and if that's how you feel, keep your remarks and recommendations to yourself. I'd rather have help from people who don't judge me based on my age or "generation".

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The current CC members are very patient compared to those from 5+ years back. It'd be worse to have 0 replies than almost 3 pages with a few harmless remarks here and there.

Boogi

The current CC members are very patient compared to those from 5+ years back. It'd be worse to have 0 replies than almost 3 pages with a few harmless remarks here and there.
Yes, I would rather hear a harsh truth instead of a lie, so why would I want to hear that when I have multiple people giving me good information but without all that extra?

You could always do what I did... find a set of cheap OEM lights... do a retrofit project (I used the exact same kit you linked to earlier), install, and then sell your old headlights to make a little bit of your money back from the retrofit project. It's of course more expensive than cleaning your current lights, but IMO the retrofit is one of the best looking mods I've made.
So I did some research and found these; http://www.amazon.com/Drivers-Headlight-Headlamp-Replacement-33151SVAA51/dp/B007TYOYO8/ref=sr_1_24?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1438922375&vehicle=2011-59-752-191--7-6-5-8041--1-1-2686--1-0&sr=1-24&ymm=2011:honda:civic

http://www.amazon.com/Passengers-Headlight-Headlamp-Replacement-33101SVAA51/dp/B007TYOYUC/ref=sr_1_19?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1438922375&vehicle=2011-59-752-191--7-6-5-8041--1-1-2686--1-0&sr=1-19&ymm=2011:honda:civic

Your opinion on these? Are those OEM part prices & sold seperately

Last edited: