Looking for some quick pointers

Farquea

I'm new to Civics and until recently any kind of car work until I started doing some work on my old Corolla. I spent a long time researching Corolla topics that unfortunately I can't do this time around for my wife's Civic. I'm hoping some experienced pro can either give me some feedback on the following or tell me that I'm out of luck as the car is nearly as old as myself! :( Her Civic is a 1990 DX (i think) its the base model I presume:

• I'm looking for oem rear mud guards but not finding much. On a road to no where with that? Are there any widely considered aftermarket alternatives that are still readily available?
  • There is no centre console below the radio player part. Can this centre console that extends over the handbrake and gear stick be found easily these days?
  • Can someone tell me the stock wheel and tire size? I believe wider tires will make it a bit more difficult to steer given that there's no power steering, is that true?
  • The trunk hydraulics are shot, you have to lift it all the way up or else it falls back down. Easy fix? part easily available?
  • Are there any quick and easy mods, additions anyone can recommend that I can add for a nice upgrade?
Thanks!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Her Civic is a 1990 DX (i think) its the base model I presume:

• I'm looking for oem rear mud guards but not finding much. On a road to no where with that? Are there any widely considered aftermarket alternatives that are still readily available?
  • There is no centre console below the radio player part. Can this centre console that extends over the handbrake and gear stick be found easily these days?
  • Can someone tell me the stock wheel and tire size? I believe wider tires will make it a bit more difficult to steer given that there's no power steering, is that true?
  • The trunk hydraulics are shot, you have to lift it all the way up or else it falls back down. Easy fix? part easily available?
  • Are there any quick and easy mods, additions anyone can recommend that I can add for a nice upgrade?
Thanks!
- What kind of Civic, is it a Hatchback, sedan or wagon?
Pictures of the car , maybe inside and out could help us answer some questions.
-Looking at the VIN will tell you what it is, what are the 4th, 5th and 6th digits?
-OEM splash guards can be found, but again, depends on the body style of car you have.
-Center console, specifically what do you mean?
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/center-console-for-89-dx-hatch.214174/

Stock wheel size, only the Ex and Si had 14" wheels, everything else will be a 13" wheel.
-Trunk hydraulic lift arms, I'm guessing from that statement, you have a hatchback?
Strongarm lift supports, google that for your car.

-What do you consider a "nice mod"?

Read up on the 4th gen...
http://www.civic4g.com/index.php/media/brochures/1990-hatchback-english

Farquea

Sorry i missed a lot of clearly important info! Yes, its a hatchback, pictures attached! The car only has 125k on the clock but I feel it just looks very 'bland' and so would love to spruce it up a bit for the wife. I guess what I'm looking for would be a centre console to fill the carpet bit in around the gear stick, rear mud flaps, rain guards and wondered if there were any lips or skirts still in production or considered somewhat easily available that I could try out.

It splits me each time I drive it though, i like the manual and driving it round but then when it comes to parking, the thing is an absolute dog due to the no power steering! But i'd like to get it fixed up and looking nice. i imagine changing the wheels will prob go a long way to helping that.

Open to any ideas, i just didnt want to research and research to find nothing is no longer available if someone here could fill me in and gives me a heads up as to how easy/difficult it is to find parts these days.

Attachments

Drakon543

Did that one just not come with power steering? I found all the components for a 90 civic power steering. If it's broken or missing you could probably add or fix it. That would be a nice upgrade :p. I couldn't find any one flaps but I found window visors. You could use a universal center console but I'm not sure what room there is dimensionality to give any suggestions.

Farquea

Didn't come with power steering no, but really you could add it? How difficult/expensive would this be as yes the wife then couldnt use her excuse about not driving as she can't park downtown anymore! Can you link me to the window visors yo found as I did find some but with some questionable reviews/fit

Farquea

Ok so just went for a spin in it and i was wrong, it is a hatchback CX not DX not that probably makes much difference. Looking at the wheels they are 13's with 175/70 tires on. Anyone tell me what the biggest size tire i could put on a set of 14s is without having to roll fenders etc?

Drakon543

The bigger/wider the tires are adds weight and more contact surface to the road. It would most likely make parking lot travel even worse. If you go to 14s I would suggest the tire size noted on boofoos post. Unless you do add the power steering then you can go bigger and not be troubled.

Farquea

The bigger/wider the tires are adds weight and more contact surface to the road. It would most likely make parking lot travel even worse. If you go to 14s I would suggest the tire size noted on boofoos post. Unless you do add the power steering then you can go bigger and not be troubled.
Actually i did know this as I found out when i changed my Corolla's for some fat tires a while back. Shame too as i had just found some nice Honda 14" rims and tires but they are 195s. Going from 175 to 195 I imagine will be noticeable in difficulty? Although if the wheel is going from steel to aluminum that would(should?) be lighter or is the wider tire what is really going to make it more difficult to turn? The last thing i want to do is make it EVEN harder to park in it for my wife!