Loss of power, oil light, runs rough, dies

Roger Ward

Ok so i been driving my civic a couple weeks now always seems to run strong. Was low on fuel today after drill so i filled it up and drove about 34 miles then when driving it i tried getting up to 65 in second to beat traffic and as soon as i hit about 62 it would barely accelerate so i didnt think much of it. Later on when i made it home i stopped to the car shuttering and having a really really rough idle. Started the car up later did the same thing but then quit so i took off but noticed a big loss in power and then when coming down to a idle at a stop sign the car idled really rough and the oil light would flash dim and brighten. By a couple more minutes it would just die. Got to autozone noticed the car was a little low on oil so i topped it off and noticed one of the plug wires on the distributor was barely attached. So i shoved it back on then started the car it was so rough of a idle it felt like it would fall apart then smoothed out. Then once again the oil light would flicker and car died when coming to a stop. Started the car pulled off oil cap and had pressure coming out of the fill hole pretty decent amount. So any ideas whats wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Ok so i been driving my civic a couple weeks now always seems to run strong. Was low on fuel today after drill so i filled it up and drove about 34 miles then when driving it i tried getting up to 65 in second to beat traffic and as soon as i hit about 62 it would barely accelerate so i didnt think much of it. Later on when i made it home i stopped to the car shuttering and having a really really rough idle. Started the car up later did the same thing but then quit so i took off but noticed a big loss in power and then when coming down to a idle at a stop sign the car idled really rough and the oil light would flash dim and brighten. By a couple more minutes it would just die. Got to autozone noticed the car was a little low on oil so i topped it off and noticed one of the plug wires on the distributor was barely attached. So i shoved it back on then started the car it was so rough of a idle it felt like it would fall apart then smoothed out. Then once again the oil light would flicker and car died when coming to a stop. Started the car pulled off oil cap and had pressure coming out of the fill hole pretty decent amount. So any ideas whats wrong?

Is the check engine light on?

Roger Ward

Yes but its been on since im missing the second o2 sensor.

I ordered a o2 extension as well as a defouler since i dont have a cat on the car

Roger Ward

I havent had a chance to do so yet. That was my plan for tomorrow. I just thought it was strange with the oil light.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The engine has spin in order to spin the oil pump to create oil pressure. If your engine is idling so low that the pump isn't creating the minimum amount of oil pressure the engine should have then the oil light will come on, such as when the engine is dying and completely stalls.

Roger Ward

I just seen stuff on google saying oil pump pcv stuff like that. Any idea on the loss of power at the higher rpms? Or the pressure coming out of the oil fill hole

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
We aren't going to start guessing until we know EXACTLY what codes it is throwing. It could be a dozen things.

The "pressure" is blowby. Less is better

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He already had a thread going on this. We went in circles for over a week.

http://clubcivic.com/forum/threads/98-civic-dx-losing-power.228404/

Yes but its been on since im missing the second o2 sensor.

I ordered a o2 extension as well as a defouler since i dont have a cat on the car

You are misunderstanding what this does. This is NOT a fix for no cat and no o2 sensors. Only way around it would be to get a new ecu with a tune on it that eliminates the sensors and cat from the ecu trying to read them. Otherwise you need to replace them. We went over this already, man.

Roger Ward

I had the second o2 sensor just needed to hook it up and the defouler was for it not to read so rich. But the car has officially just died. Took it out for a mile drive to see if any change and then while driving the car started making a very bad grinding noise cant tell if its the engine or transmission doing so. When i put it in gear thats when the whole car would shutter. So looks like the car is gonna see the scrap yard.