Loud humming sound when driving especially at speeds between 50 and 60.

satyr1

I have a 2006 civic which recently is making a loud humming noise when driving at all speeds, but especially at speeds above 50mph. I replaced the tires and it is still there. I read in the forum that this could be caused by wheel bearings, but my wheels are not loose at all. Could my manual transmission cause this noise. The noise sounds like inside an airplane with a prop engine.:(

A-TownCivic

5+ Year Member
I don't know if the tranny would make that noise. You would have difficulty engaging the clutch or it would slip. It does sound like the wheel bearings or wheel hub. Can you tell if the noise is coming from the rear wheels?

satyr1

I don't know if the tranny would make that noise. You would have difficulty engaging the clutch or it would slip. It does sound like the wheel bearings or wheel hub. Can you tell if the noise is coming from the rear wheels?
I am sort of relieved that it may not be the tranny. I can't quite tell whether it's the front or rear wheels. I tested only the front wheels. Maybe I should test the rear ones. Thanks

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
probably the bearing
my sisters car would make that same noise only at 40-45 mph
it was the rear passenger wheel
so yeah check the rears

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's the wheel bearings .. the wheels wouldn't be loose if your bearings are shot .. the rear wheel bearings come as an assembly, not just the bearing .. have you hit any pot holes recently or anything that would adjust the toe? what about lowering the car? the replacement process of these are very very easy .. i am sure you can find a write up somewhere on the internet .. but definitely the wheel bearings

satyr1

Thank you

Thank you all for your response. It is the left rear hub/bearing assembly. I took it to the Honda Dealer and since it is part of the drive train, it is still under warranty. They replaced it for free. Save a few bucks. I only have 33,000 miles on the car. It would seem the bearing should not wear out that easily. My 96 Odyssey has 350,000 miles on it, and it is still running like a champ.

ekhatchback

Hub bearings from sure. My wife's Mazda 3 had the same problem..I replaced. All four tires.. still same problem. Wheel bearings.