Loud Noise During acceleration!

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
The Car: 1998 DX Hatchback with manual tranny. Miles: 171000

The Problem: During heavy acceleration the engine makes a very audible grinding/tearing noise. The noise is louder then the after market exhaust. Also makes noise during deacceleration. Engine is Stock. The noise comes from the engine area not the tranny. It tends to have a favorite rpm but i can't tell which rpm's because DX doesn't have a tach. Thank you.

P.S. Im hoping its some secret super extreme budget v-tec that activates with motors age.

RonJ

Banned
Can you reproduce the noise by revving the engine in neutral?

Is the noise coming from the drive belt area? If so, remove each drive belt one at a time to see if the noise goes away.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
Get the car up to speed, about 60-70 and push the clutch in and rev the motor and let it fall off.

If the noise DOESN'T happen when you do this, its your transmission

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
Thanks Aldundra, ill try that. what exactly in the tranny would make this noise. Also it has been doing this for about 3 months. The car's performance hasn't seemed to suffer due to this noise.

RonJ

Banned
If the noise goes away when you push the clutch pedal to the floor, then the transmission input shaft bearing is blown.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
input shaft bearing. 95% positive.. eventually you just wont be able to put it in gear and itll just completely crap out on you...

RonJ

Banned
If the input shaft bearing is indeed bad, most will simply replace the transmission as the job is difficult and requires some knowledge about transmissions.

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
I heard that it would still make a noise even in neutral. Mine doesn't It's only noisy at high rpms. It kinda sounds like a juicer when you put the fruit in. Thank you for all the help, RonJ

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
bump. There is NO noise in neutral, Only makes the noise in 1st and 2nd gears during high rpms.