Low Fuel Light?

Taloncook

5+ Year Member
Hello everyone i was just curious on my 98 civic dx does it have a low fuel light because ive been trying to see if it works and im now driving on pretty much on Empty and it still hasnt came on so i was curious does the 98 civic dx even have the low fuel light or maybe mine doesnt work or possibly not low enough fuel yet any help would be great thanks.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I've never seen it come on in my civic...DX model too.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it comes on basically when youre sucking on fumes. its bad for your fuel pump to run the tank that low anyways. your tank holds 11.9 gallons of fuel, so next time you fill up from dead empty see how much gas actually pumps into your tank and you'll know how empty it gets before the light comes on

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Most I ever filled up was 10.58 gallons or something like that...but the arrow had dropped below the "empty" line a few times and the light still never came on so I don't know.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm afraid to go that low. I've had my needle below the E before.. going downhill. Going uphill and that b***h is pointing like straight down lol. Then I go to fill up and it's like 10.5 gallons...

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think that is on 99% of the ek's. This has be mentioned time after time on here. Just keep refueling and you'll be fine. you should never wait for the dummy light anyways.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont ever wait for it. first date w a girl.. the car shuts down because i was running late and was depending on that needle and light. how embarassing.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm weird, mine actually comes on a little less then 1/4 of a tank :what: , its actually pretty annoying when i know im not ready to fill up yet and it keeps coming on an off
It never worked before tho until i switched out to my crv cluster

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Mine never comes on and my needle has been under the E mark several times, even as low as when the needle is at rest with the ignition key off.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmm weird, mine actually comes on a little less then 1/4 of a tank :what: , its actually pretty annoying when i know im not ready to fill up yet and it keeps coming on an off
It never worked before tho until i switched out to my crv cluster
i've never seen it come on in my crv cluster, but i don't ever take it to a bare tank either. with the si cluster that originally came in the car i know the light worked. it would come on right at the E mark

RonJ

Banned
To answer the OP's question, yes your Civic indeed has a Low Fuel indicator light in the cluster. It's possible that it works but you have not yet allowed the fuel level to get low enough to turn it on or that it simply doesn't work.

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mines intermittent, it use to work, and comes on every once in awhile when I'm low on gas, but the last time I completely ran out of gas and it never came on lol.

oh well.

theopenroad

hi can anyone tell me if my civic 1.4 hatchback 1998 has a low fuel light that comes on. i can see the fuel pump symbol on the dash but it has not come on yet and the needle is hovering over the single red line on the fuel gauge and i'm at 368 miles from a full tank. i've check the fuses and can't see any that has blown i've only had this car 2 weeks so want to know how much i can do mileage wise and if the light works. i'm driving round waiting for the 1st cough of the engine before i empty the petrol can in the boot in to the tank to get me to a petrol pump.

any help would be great thank you

theopenroad

well i gave in and put petrol in the car today because it didn't star firsty time when i turned it over. i put 42 litres in from empty. i managed 375 urban miles but know light. i have worked out that my civic is a ej9 lx model. can anyone tell me if it has a low fuel light that comes on.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Might need to change the bulb in your cluster. I replace all of my bulbs when I got the car & found 3 were bad & the low fuel was one of them along with the oil.