Low Idle?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not familiar with what proper idle for my car is, but this is where it's been at when it warms up.

That's sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake. I'm pretty sure this is the reason I have NO LOW RANGE TORQUE. From a stop sign or red light, four way, whatever, I can put it to the floor and it's almost lazy. I understand the lack of power in an automatic d16z6 but that lack of power is just crazy. The car idles pretty high (1200-1400) when I crank it first thing in the morning when it's cold, but when it warms up it eventually goes back to this^

Any ideas? I've heard about cleaning the IACV, could that benefit me?
Idle screw maybe?

Any and all help is much appreciated, as always :D

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not yet, i'll post back soon though. Should I clean it with Carb cleaner or what?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats normal idle rpms... at least for my y8 it is. and welcome to life with a honda, where rpms "make up" for torque...

808xtreme808

Idle should be around 750-800. If your idle gets better with the AC turned off check to see if your AC condenser fan is turning on. If its not then put 12v to the leads and see if the motor works. Changed my fan motor and no more low idle. The compressor was overloading the engine at idle and causing it to bog to about 500 also. Good luck.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Idle should be around 750-800. If your idle gets better with the AC turned off check to see if your AC condenser fan is turning on. If its not then put 12v to the leads and see if the motor works. Changed my fan motor and no more low idle. The compressor was overloading the engine at idle and causing it to bog to about 500 also. Good luck.
^ he dosent have this car anymore he drives a 5 speed d15 del sol now.
Lol this is true.
But it does bring back memories. Not the best of memories, but nevertheless, memories.

Mods, feel free to close this.