Low rpm sputter/hesitation/bogging

4evervtec

Hi y'all, first post and hoping someone out there has a good guess for my problem.
So I have a 2000 civic ex w/d16y8 stock engine. As title states my car is sputtering at low rpm but drives fine after 1500-2000 rpm's. Car temp don't seem to make a difference.

Upon it's first occurance My intuition said it was the fuel filter. I changed it out as well as took a look at my rotor n plug set up and all was good there, checked air filter it was clean, no CEL on. Anyways I also threw in some gumout fuel injector cleaner and began driving. The problem was gone! I was excited to solve the issue on first try! Or so I thought. It mysteriously returned again today. Now I read it could be water in tank, n to try stp water cleaner or something like that, a possible alternator going out or injector fuel problem. I know it can be a lot too like a fuel pump going out or sensor. But I figure this is a common problem with too many solutions and therefore the common fix y'all have done to remedy this issue is likely to be mine as well. Much thanks to y'all and have great days
Peace

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When was the last tune up?

plugs
wires
rotor
cap

If replacing those doesnt help,
try seafoam and see what it does..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
careful with seafoam... it doesn't play nicely with o2 sensors. Ask me how I know. :lol:

Does it run fine all through the RPM band on a cold start? I had a similar issue, no low-band power, but only when cold. It ended up being a faulty o2 sensor. Not enough to throw a CEL as it still got a reading, but it effed with my AF ratio enough to cause a loss in power.

I'm with above though, sounds like you could be due for a tune-up.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Learned the hard way with seafoam and sensors as well. Did a service on my old room mate's 6th gen and seafoamed it as a finale. The sensors committed suicide after telling me to go f myself. Recommend buying a plug and taking them out if you are going to do it, or if you are going to replace the sensors anyway, just let it go.

dmuney

Hi y'all, first post and hoping someone out there has a good guess for my problem.
So I have a 2000 civic ex w/d16y8 stock engine. As title states my car is sputtering at low rpm but drives fine after 1500-2000 rpm's. Car temp don't seem to make a difference.

Upon it's first occurance My intuition said it was the fuel filter. I changed it out as well as took a look at my rotor n plug set up and all was good there, checked air filter it was clean, no CEL on. Anyways I also threw in some gumout fuel injector cleaner and began driving. The problem was gone! I was excited to solve the issue on first try! Or so I thought. It mysteriously returned again today. Now I read it could be water in tank, n to try stp water cleaner or something like that, a possible alternator going out or injector fuel problem. I know it can be a lot too like a fuel pump going out or sensor. But I figure this is a common problem with too many solutions and therefore the common fix y'all have done to remedy this issue is likely to be mine as well. Much thanks to y'all and have great days
Peace
Tune up Distributor- very common Valve cover gasket leaking oil into the spark plug tubes pull wires out of valve cover if the have oil on them there is your problem. Also I've owned civics for 15 yrs. and close to 20 of them and I'm a auto Technition by trade and in 23 yrs. I'll bet I've changed 250 or more distributors in civics alone

4evervtec

Tune up Distributor- very common Valve cover gasket leaking oil into the spark plug tubes pull wires out of valve cover if the have oil on them there is your problem. Also I've owned civics for 15 yrs. and close to 20 of them and I'm a auto Technition by trade and in 23 yrs. I'll bet I've changed 250 or more distributors in civics alone
Hey demuney, thanks for the advice ! I did do a tune up n sure enough it started running fine. Thanks for the heads up about the valve cover leaking oil in spark plug chamber. They didn't have any oil but there was clearly some crusty old oil on the walls. So far car is fixed! Hope it stays fine! Thanks again!