Lower ball joint

bubbles

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can someone please explain how to remove a front lower ball joint on a 94 civic ....it looks like its part of the whole strut......My car is making a terrible cluk...cluk...cluk..noise over bumps and i need to change it soon...please help

UK_VTI

5+ Year Member
bump for reply.... i need to know to. Do i need a ball joint press?

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
UK_VTI said:
bump for reply.... i need to know to. Do i need a ball joint press?
yes, you will need a ball joint press, and you will want to remove that spindle/hub assembly from the car to press it out/in...

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
t3t4h22 said:
yes, you will need a ball joint press, and you will want to remove that spindle/hub assembly from the car to press it out/in...
you dont have too...i did mine with a hammer and axel grease...works nicely..hit the old one out the top and slide the new one in through the top.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here in the states, most AutO'ReillyZones will loan you a press if you put down a deposit.

You can do the hammer thing too though...I wouldn't but I have seen it done and then use the car's weight and a small jackstand to press it in

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FRODO said:
you dont have too...i did mine with a hammer and axel grease...works nicely..hit the old one out the top and slide the new one in through the top.
if you do it this way, be careful, it is easy to f**k up the top of the balljoint while tapping on it (FROM EXPERIENCE)

civichatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So if i take the hub off the car i can hammer the joint off the knuckle? Is it just a case of waking it on the top over and over? I have two new ball joints so it doesn't matter about wrecking the old ones. then to get the new ones in can i use a hammer but with something to protect the top of the ball joint like a block of wood?

thanks for your help guys!

Sorry for the hi-jack UK_VTI, i am having the same issue! Where abouts in the uk you from?

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would recommend using a large socket 32-35 mm that will trace around the outside of the balljoint, so that when you hit the socket, it drive the ball joint into the spindle straight, without beating up the center...
whatever you do dont hit the balljoint bolt in any way- itll bend and make it damn near impossible to get the castle nut on... good luck.

-=CopperTop=-

MazdaSpeed Wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
t3t4h22 said:
I would recommend using a large socket 32-35 mm that will trace around the outside of the balljoint, so that when you hit the socket, it drive the ball joint into the spindle straight, without beating up the center...
whatever you do dont hit the balljoint bolt in any way- itll bend and make it damn near impossible to get the castle nut on... good luck.
yea, it you hit it your f**ked, just pay the deposit and get the Press

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have done this about 4 times now with a hummer and if you are dumb you will mess it up just be careful. and the kit you can buy does not have the size for hondas (well the kit my autozone has)

UK_VTI

5+ Year Member
Well luckly i have found a garage that will pop the old ones out and put the new ones in for nothing! No hammering for me! =) One question though... I picked up my ball joints today and it doesn't have a castle nut or cotter pin hole, it does have a nut with a ruber/plastick lock in it. Is this ok to use? I asked the salesman twice and he even allowed me to check the part screen and it was for the EG6. So it should be right but wanna make sure first.

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first time ive heard of that, maybe its a new thing- are these HONDA parts, or aft market?

UK_VTI

5+ Year Member
It looks exactly the same as the ball joint on the car, just has a nut instead of a castle nut and cotter pin. It isn't honda.

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did it cost less?- just wondering, cause im a true believer in using geniune HONDA stuff, whenever possible...
but if thats how they came, im sure they'r safe...just never heard of a ball joint w/out a castle nut...