Lowered with smooth ride tanabe nf210 vs tein s tech? Possibly others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow89

Ok so far with the research ive done these two are the stand outs.... Im new to any honda modification so if im wrong dont be afraid to call me an idiot lol

anyways im basically looking to drop the car and keep the ride as stock/smooth as possible with a drop. I'm not too worried about how well it does in the corners as i am about driving to work and back. This is my daily driver so just looking for a good looking car that rides like stock.

thanks for all the help in advance =)

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

Are you looking to slam the car, or just a slight drop? I've heard good things about the S Techs, though I do not like Teins customer service and due to a previous issue I will not buy them again.

Look into Fortune Auto with Swift springs. I am thinking about these myself. Or any full bodied coilover with Swift springs, really. Those springs are the best on the market.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WTF is with all the smooth ride threads lately?

My advice: Keep the old springs and get some new shocks.

ALL lowering springs are designed for performance.

So pick a mushy (smooth) ride or a sport ride with a drop.. Theres nothing in the middle.

Slow89

:welcome: to ClubCivic!

Are you looking to slam the car, or just a slight drop? I've heard good things about the S Techs, though I do not like Teins customer service and due to a previous issue I will not buy them again.

Look into Fortune Auto with Swift springs. I am thinking about these myself. Or any full bodied coilover with Swift springs, really. Those springs are the best on the market.

i guess just a drop in general so it doesnt look like a 4x4 anymore lol

WTF is with all the smooth ride threads lately?

My advice: Keep the old springs and get some new shocks.

ALL lowering springs are designed for performance.

So pick a mushy (smooth) ride or a sport ride with a drop.. Theres nothing in the middle.

Thank you for stating the obvious captain obvious..... If i didnt know anything about suspension i would be talking about coil overs like 90% of u fun boys talk about. If you actually read my post you would be able to figure out why i asked. Im looking for a spring that will lower the car and keep it riding as close to stock as possible. Not all lowering springs give a harsh "sport ride" just like not all stock springs give a "mushy smooth ride"

Again im not a big honda person i just buy them for dailys but im tired of driving a 4x4 that looks like a honda lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Look for a Tokico spring/shock combo..

Will lower a bit, but ride is slightly sporty. Should run about 350

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fun boys huh? Lol, I am guessing you meant to say fan boys. Love it when domestic "fan boys" fight with the import "fan boys".

Also, coming on calling names is the best way to get help from forum members, keep that up it will work out great. Use it where ever you go, it's universal. :thumbs up

Says don't be afraid to call an idiot when wrong, yet gets jumpy when someone points out said wrong. That's not fair and you got off lucky. I think the obvious information that he stated is spot on. You aren't going to get a factory ride with lowering springs, they are all meant for a sportier ride and for a basic start to better handling. Unfortunately like is the case with cars that have "sport" suspension from the factory, you lose the "smooth" ride that comes with the basic bottom level suspension.

Curious when adjustable coil overs became "fan boy" status? True sports cars use them from the factory and they are the best improvement you can make to a vehicle suspension wise. There is a reason everyone ends up with them as they get serious into motorsports.

You are going to have to decide weather you want to lose some of the "smoothness" for lowering because as stated above, there isn't really an in between. There are some set ups that are superior to others, but no lowered suspension is going to maintain that factory feel. Most say that Tokico is a good brand to go with for combining with lowering springs as they are the closest you are going to get to factory. I think the are the Tokico blues.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Blues would be correct. with Tokico springs. Comes in a set.

I bought that set when I 1st got my civic. Needless to say, they were smooth. hence why I replaced/recommended them

Slow89

Fun boys huh? Lol, I am guessing you meant to say fan boys. Love it when domestic "fan boys" fight with the import "fan boys".

Also, coming on calling names is the best way to get help from forum members, keep that up it will work out great. Use it where ever you go, it's universal. :thumbs up

Says don't be afraid to call an idiot when wrong, yet gets jumpy when someone points out said wrong. That's not fair and you got off lucky. I think the obvious information that he stated is spot on. You aren't going to get a factory ride with lowering springs, they are all meant for a sportier ride and for a basic start to better handling. Unfortunately like is the case with cars that have "sport" suspension from the factory, you lose the "smooth" ride that comes with the basic bottom level suspension.

Curious when adjustable coil overs became "fan boy" status? True sports cars use them from the factory and they are the best improvement you can make to a vehicle suspension wise. There is a reason everyone ends up with them as they get serious into motorsports.

You are going to have to decide weather you want to lose some of the "smoothness" for lowering because as stated above, there isn't really an in between. There are some set ups that are superior to others, but no lowered suspension is going to maintain that factory feel. Most say that Tokico is a good brand to go with for combining with lowering springs as they are the closest you are going to get to factory. I think the are the Tokico blues.

If you learned to read i stated "as close to stock as possible" and as for the coilover discussion they're not the preferred method to lower a car if you're looking for good driveability on a daily. Thats pretty common and universal knowledge for domestic or import guys. I see it time and time again kids go with coilovers because the "expert" told them to save up and get them yet they dont ever track the car and when it starts driving like s**t on public roads they switch back to a spring and shock/strut setup. So in short nothing i stated was wrong. I asked a simple question regarding spring manufactures because im not familiar with honda springs. So be happy "you got off lucky"

anyways back to my question.... I guess i answered my own question because i did a little more digging and found the rates of both springs and looks like the nf210 are a bit softer than the teins

thanks for everyone's help here lol

Blues would be correct. with Tokico springs. Comes in a set.

I bought that set when I 1st got my civic. Needless to say, they were smooth. hence why I replaced/recommended them

thank you sir... Probably setting these up with some nf210s

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got off lucky? LOL. I REALLY hope you stay and keep the attitude flowing. The rest of the guys are going to love you.

So people don't daily with coil overs and aren't happy? That's interesting. Most come on here and every other forum I have been on asking to UPGRADE from non-adjustable spring shock combos. Yes, I said upgrade. Universal knowledge my ass. :lol:

Thank you. Guys like you keep the forum interesting. Please do keep spreading this "universal knowledge". Looking forward to it.

Slow89

I got off lucky? LOL. I REALLY hope you stay and keep the attitude flowing. The rest of the guys are going to love you.

So people don't daily with coil overs and aren't happy? That's interesting. Most come on here and every other forum I have been on asking to UPGRADE from non-adjustable spring shock combos. Yes, I said upgrade. Universal knowledge my ass. :lol:

Thank you. Guys like you keep the forum interesting. Please do keep spreading this "universal knowledge". Looking forward to it.

pretty sure its common knowledge coilovers will ride alot stiffer than a good spring and shock/strut set up.... Coilovers are meant for tracking and their spring rate will almost always be alot higher. Not sure what kind of roads you have out in washington but here in Southern California but there is not funner (being sarcastic) thing than a long road trip with a coilover set up. Again if you actually read my first post you would know what im looking for. And if you're trying to answer my question you would NEVER suggest a coilover set up. Then again you continue to argue with me so i wouldnt be suprised if you still tried to justify your misinformed statement.

I may come off as an ass but anyone with any kind of knowledge in this car world knows im right ;)

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not Always, some coils are meant for street use.. F&F type1's for example. Too soft for track use.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And if you're trying to answer my question you would NEVER suggest a coilover set up.

I may come off as an ass but anyone with any kind of knowledge in this car world knows im right ;)
My first reply to you was suggesting a coilover setup. :roll: Reason being, any good, full bodied coilover with Swift springs will produce the results you want. I recommend fortune auto because of their incredible customer support and 5 year warranty.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My first reply to you was suggesting a coilover setup. :roll: Reason being, any good, full bodied coilover with Swift springs will produce the results you want. I recommend fortune auto because of their incredible customer support and 5 year warranty.
Not Always, some coils are meant for street use.. F&F type1's for example. Too soft for track use.
Ding, ding, ding.

Curious as to why I get so many customers here at work that are looking for a set of UPGRADED adjustable coil overs for the already installed FACTORY adjustable coil overs on their daily driver Porsche (not all have adjustable from factory but some do and the rest inquire about it all the time). Is the factory misinformed? What about the veteran track guys that are recommending it to their friends and track buddies for their dailies? Are they "misinformed" too? Let me guess, you are going to say that they are track cars and are built for racing? You would be partially right, but a very large portion of Porsche customers daily their cars and 90% are track "inspired" but not actually track built. In fact, I had a customer with a Cayman tell me that after we installed his H&R adjustable set up, he took it for a road trip to Vegas. Said he said "the ride was fantastic" <--- His words. Also said he couldn't be happier and he is going to tell everyone that he can that doesn't have an adjustable set on their 987 or 911 to come see us. They love it because they can have us set it higher for daily and then crank them down for track days.

But no, to someone like you I wouldn't be recommending adjustable coil overs especially after you said you found the answer. I just fought back in defense of the members you were on here belittling after asking them for advice. Then you proceeded to belittle me so I retaliated. There is only 3 of us on this site that actually gave you the time of day and have probably 30 years or more of car knowledge between the 3 of us and you threw insults at all 3. THAT is why I kept "fighting".

LOL, universal knowledge, still can't get that out of my head. Showed this thread to the guys here at work and they got a good laugh. Thank you, your "universal and common knowledge" has made a good chuckle for an otherwise hectic friday here in the high end European market. Thanks for the chuckle, I have said my peace in here and you have already found your answer. I'm out. It's been fun.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How the hell do you do multiple quotes? This a mod thing? Or just a cut and paste?

Slow89

Ding, ding, ding.

Curious as to why I get so many customers here at work that are looking for a set of UPGRADED adjustable coil overs for the already installed FACTORY adjustable coil overs on their daily driver Porsche (not all have adjustable from factory but some do and the rest inquire about it all the time). Is the factory misinformed? What about the veteran track guys that are recommending it to their friends and track buddies for their dailies? Are they "misinformed" too? Let me guess, you are going to say that they are track cars and are built for racing? You would be partially right, but a very large portion of Porsche customers daily their cars and 90% are track "inspired" but not actually track built. In fact, I had a customer with a Cayman tell me that after we installed his H&R adjustable set up, he took it for a road trip to Vegas. Said he said "the ride was fantastic" <--- His words. Also said he couldn't be happier and he is going to tell everyone that he can that doesn't have an adjustable set on their 987 or 911 to come see us. They love it because they can have us set it higher for daily and then crank them down for track days.

But no, to someone like you I wouldn't be recommending adjustable coil overs especially after you said you found the answer. I just fought back in defense of the members you were on here belittling after asking them for advice. Then you proceeded to belittle me so I retaliated. There is only 3 of us on this site that actually gave you the time of day and have probably 30 years or more of car knowledge between the 3 of us and you threw insults at all 3. THAT is why I kept "fighting".

LOL, universal knowledge, still can't get that out of my head. Showed this thread to the guys here at work and they got a good laugh. Thank you, your "universal and common knowledge" has made a good chuckle for an otherwise hectic friday here in the high end European market. Thanks for the chuckle, I have said my peace in here and you have already found your answer. I'm out. It's been fun.

Now you're reaching..... Comparing close to 3 thousand dollar coilovers for a porsche to $150 spring set for a 100hp civic. Thats like me comparing one of our GTR's to my little daily civic and wondering why the GTR rides smoother. Almost all coilover sets in the honda community are set up with a stiff as hell spring rate design for tracking. s**t Give me ONE set of coilovers you think would be in my price range that would ride better than a spring and strut/shock setup. So again unless your completely retarded or just stupid no person with any kind of suspension knowledge would recommend a coilover set for what im looking for. Or are we going to continue to compare 50k+ sports cars to a couple thousand dollar beater civics.

Again if you actually READ my original post you would know exactly what im looking for and thats exactly why i stated not to mention a coilover set like 99% of the idiots in the honda community do.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please do research before trying to blast someone. Really? I said I was done. Those coil overs for my customer's Cayman were around $1800. $1500-$2k is average for GOOD to GREAT adjustable coil overs. Most people aren't willing to spend the money so they cheap out and just like everything else you get what you pay for. Why are you asking? Are you interested in coil overs now? I was just making a point based off of your misinformation given about coil overs and just being for track. You also said almost all coil over sets are set with a stiff as hell spring rate. ALMOST being the key word. You were given 2 brands so far that were made more for street use and are considered normally too soft for full track use. That is enough to prove you are full of s**t.

Now I am going to belittle you. If you were anywhere competent enough to read and take the slander you have given 2 of us now, you would actually see that I didn't say I was recommending coil overs to someone like you I WAS MAKING A POINT BASED OFF YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT COIL OVERS. Figured I would put it in all caps so it might sink in now. Should I go back up there and quote it for you princess or are you capable of scrolling up to reread? Jesus it's like talking to a 2 year old.

Also, no where am I comparing the cars. I am talking about coil over sets, specifically H&R if you would bother to read instead of focusing on WHAT YOU WANT TO READ. H&R makes the same coil over set for the civic as they do the Cayman.

Wait....I get it now. You are a troll that is bored with your mustang forums so you figured you would come here and "show these import guys what's up". :rolf: I get it. "Got me good, you f**ker" - Farva "Super Trooper"

Slow89

Please do research before trying to blast someone. Really? I said I was done. Those coil overs for my customer's Cayman were around $1800. $1500-$2k is average for GOOD to GREAT adjustable coil overs. Most people aren't willing to spend the money so they cheap out and just like everything else you get what you pay for. Why are you asking? Are you interested in coil overs now? I was just making a point based off of your misinformation given about coil overs and just being for track. You also said almost all coil over sets are set with a stiff as hell spring rate. ALMOST being the key word. You were given 2 brands so far that were made more for street use and are considered normally too soft for full track use. That is enough to prove you are full of s**t.

Now I am going to belittle you. If you were anywhere competent enough to read and take the slander you have given 2 of us now, you would actually see that I didn't say I was recommending coil overs to someone like you I WAS MAKING A POINT BASED OFF YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT COIL OVERS. Figured I would put it in all caps so it might sink in now. Should I go back up there and quote it for you princess or are you capable of scrolling up to reread? Jesus it's like talking to a 2 year old.

Also, no where am I comparing the cars. I am talking about coil over sets, specifically H&R if you would bother to read instead of focusing on WHAT YOU WANT TO READ. H&R makes the same coil over set for the civic as they do the Cayman.

Wait....I get it now. You are a troll that is bored with your mustang forums so you figured you would come here and "show these import guys what's up". :rolf: I get it. "Got me good, you f**ker" - Farva "Super Trooper"

Import guys i have respect for, you trying to go totally off subject to win a debate not so much.... s**t a couple of my buddies have some of the fastest outlaw cars on the westcoast. But im not going to get into a d**k measuring contest on the interweb lol

But since your reading comprehension is that of a 1 year old i'll try to explain this like im talking to a druken idiot. Your original response was "Curious when adjustable coil overs became "fan boy" status? True sports cars use them from the factory and they are the best improvement you can make to a vehicle suspension wise. There is a reason everyone ends up with them as they get serious into motorsports."

For starters when did this become a discussion about improving a sports car ability when they get serious in motorsports? Also i stated most idiots on honda forums tell u save and go straight for coilovers yet most of the civic community dont track their cars seriously enough to warrant a coilover set. You can get close to the same result with a good spring and strut/shock setup and have a better riding car for cheaper (unless we're talking high end coilover sets WHICH WERE NOT). I mean most the cars on this forum arent going to mind adding a few seconds to their lap time as long as their car ran a little more like stock. Secondly you did compare a porsche suspension set up to a civic or why even bring that into the discussion? We are not talking any other car but the usual daily driven honda so a coilover set up for a higher end sports car shouldnt even be brought up yet like an idiot you wanted to compare apples to oranges lol. And lastly you have made zero points that my argument is incorrect. You have gone way off course in an attempt to prove you're right about an argument no one started.

So in short..... Are coilovers better for the track, off course but why that is apart of this discussion is beyond me. Can you get a better riding car with good handling for the occasional track use and save a ton of money with a spring and shock/strut setup? Hells yes you can. Can you get a good riding car with even better handling for the track with a coilover set up? Yes you can but you're going to pay close to 3 times the amount of a spring and shock/strut set up. So for 90% of civic owners who for the most part are teenagers or kids in their 20s would i recommend a coilover setup? Nope!

That was written about as idiot proof as you can get so if you still dont get it. May god be with you on your next reading adventure =)

Last edited:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:popcorn:

I'm days away from installing S Techs with Koni orange struts. I can't imagine there's a much softer set up out there. Can't beat the price for quality components either at around $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.