Lowering springs on stock struts?

Paigee

Okay so. My baby is a '00 Civic, mostly stock except for a few smaller mods. I'm looking at lowering springs (ruled out coil overs for financial reasons) and have narrowed it down to two brands. Planning on a 1.5-1.8" drop, currently have all oem body panels and stock ride height.

My options at this point are either Eibach or Tein S Tech. I've been doing research and it seems like the S Techs are better if you're going to be putting them on stock struts but in terms of longevity they don't seem like the best option. I know Eibach to be a good brand so at first I was leaning towards that but if I'm going to need new struts then it seems like I might as well just go ahead and get coil overs. Also I obviously want as little wheel gap as possible and don't want to have to mess with my camber just yet :p

Anyone have any experience or input on this? I just don't want to regret the decision I make and all my friends drive heavily modded 240s and don't know anything about Hondas since we're very different. lol

Thanks =)

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
I would wait and do it right, buying both aftermarket struts and shocks

andrewthesith

Darth "The Si" Vader
your stock struts will last a long time if you don't drive like a d*i*c*k. but don't expect them to last forever, either. you'll be good if you don't mind changing them again later.

Paigee

your stock struts will last a long time if you don't drive like a d*i*c*k. but don't expect them to last forever, either. you'll be good if you don't mind changing them again later.
That's my plan, I don't drive this car hard and I don't really have plans to, lowering it is kind of my way of making sure I don't run it into the ground because I'm gonna have to be more careful and aware of how I'm driving. My stock struts are in pretty good shape for the time being and I don't mind buying new ones down the line.

When the time comes and I DO have to buy new struts, will I have to get new springs too? Or can I just put whichever ones I get onto my new struts? I work for Honda so can get all oem parts pretty cheap

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why do people even still consider this? The spring are meant to keep the constant load off of your struts and your struts are pressurized to work with the springs to keep your car where it's at. Put lowering springs on the stock struts just makes the struts have to consistently take bumps and try to work like normal while being compressed more than they should be for that kind of duration.

It's not a good idea on any car, don't do it.

Save a couple hundred extra now and get a set of coilovers or go with something like a Koni Yellow/GC setup that was designed for it. Lowering springs on stock struts now just means finding struts sooner than you expected.

Kenneth

5+ Year Member
That's my plan, I don't drive this car hard and I don't really have plans to, lowering it is kind of my way of making sure I don't run it into the ground because I'm gonna have to be more careful and aware of how I'm driving. My stock struts are in pretty good shape for the time being and I don't mind buying new ones down the line.

When the time comes and I DO have to buy new struts, will I have to get new springs too? Or can I just put whichever ones I get onto my new struts? I work for Honda so can get all oem parts pretty cheap
Springs are supposed to last the life of the car. Over time they can develop a sag, or weaken. But generally speaking, they're lifetime. If you work for a Honda dealership, I hope one of the techs can mount the springs on the damper. That can be a challenge without an expensive spring compressor.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay so. My baby is a '00 Civic, mostly stock except for a few smaller mods. I'm looking at lowering springs (ruled out coil overs for financial reasons) and have narrowed it down to two brands. Planning on a 1.5-1.8" drop, currently have all oem body panels and stock ride height.

My options at this point are either Eibach or Tein S Tech. I've been doing research and it seems like the S Techs are better if you're going to be putting them on stock struts but in terms of longevity they don't seem like the best option. I know Eibach to be a good brand so at first I was leaning towards that but if I'm going to need new struts then it seems like I might as well just go ahead and get coil overs. Also I obviously want as little wheel gap as possible and don't want to have to mess with my camber just yet :p

Anyone have any experience or input on this? I just don't want to regret the decision I make and all my friends drive heavily modded 240s and don't know anything about Hondas since we're very different. lol

Thanks =)
Then get the full coil-overs then. Kill 2 stones with 1 bird.