lowering springs vs. coilovers

abigbyrd

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm new to the forum and am looking for some advise. Getting ready to start on my 01 and will probably run 17's w/ 215/40 paradas. i want to effectivly minimize the extra finderwell space and enhance look and ride all at the same time. I guess my question is, for the money and effort what is my best bet, coilovers or springs. I am somewhat mechanical and plan to do the work myself. Thanks for any help on this subject.

spider883

Supercharged Si
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i just put on some skunk2 coilovers.. i had neuspeed springs on before and i enjoy the coilovers more bc i can adjust each side to be even.. with springs they can get uneven.. and its easy to put them on.. but of coarse my friends and i own a shop so.. but u should be able to do it yourself if u have basic tools

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
17's are really big man...I looked at getting some...but then I spanked all over a 95 civic who had alot more done to his than mine in mint condition. It was mostly because he had 17 inch focal rims. Go with a 16 or a 15...and make sure you get some LIGHT LIGHT weight wheels...otherwise wise asses like me with my 14 inch steelies will own you =)
peace!

perry

the prodigal child
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want light wheels get mugens.

if you want wheels that look good for show, get 18's, the 18's really fit the fenderwell nicely.

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some corrections on terminology:

Springs are springs. There is no such thing as a "coilover" and then a "spring." Coilover springs are the kind that most Hondas use. The other kind is the McPherson Strut design, which the new Civics and Integras (RSX) use on the front.

So, the best way to say it correctly would be:

Non-adjustable lowering coilover springs (lowering springs), and height-adjusting coilover springs (adjustable coilover springs).

But this is not a perfect world, so we'll always get stuck with people saying "coilover" for the adjustables and "springs" for the non adjustables.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "abigbyrd"

will probably run 17's w/ 215/40 paradas. i want to effectivly minimize the extra finderwell space and enhance look and ride all at the same time. .
with 17's and 40 series tires, your looking a f**king ruff ass ride homie...i myself have skunk2 coilovers with stock 15" rims and kumho 712's 195/55 .. the ride is okay...could be better, but by lowering your car, your going to get a rougher ride, unless you get some 60 series tires, you be alrite...

OZ99...i guess you could just say coilovers and springs well all say that (cuz its short number one) and most internet sites classify them as that.