lsd for s20 or s40 tranny

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so ive been doin some research lookin here and there and what ive foso far is that companies that produce lsd's only make em for b16, b18, etc. I was lookin at OBX and quaife thinkin they would have one but they didnt. can anyone point me in the right direction to gettin a lsd for my tranny? right now i got an s20 in my car but im plannin on rebulidin the s40 i had to take out since it was a slush box. which should i rebuild btw? im likin the shorter gears in the s20 but ive heard theyre unreliable sometimes. thanks!

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I would definitely stay away from OBX, honestly, their products are not up to par such as Quaife.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i read a review and some guy busted up his transmission tryin to get it back out cause the diff held onto the axle. im just sick of 1 wheel burnouts. lol jk but it is annoying having one tire wear faster than all the rest

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah, you should invest in an LSD. Especially if you plan on going for boost..

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nah no boost for me. maybe some laughin gas.... but yeah im just goin n/a with a complete rebuild. d16y8 block, d16z6 head (maybe milled idk yet), d16a1 p29 pistons .5 mm oversized, and hopefully skunk 2 intake manifold w/skunk 2 throttle body. its comin along slowly since im still in college and gettin parts like once a month. and im buildin the engine in my room. lol

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im in the exact same position as you, buying parts where you find a really good deal on, a couple a month maybe.. staying in sometimes to save money.. lol it sucks but itll be worth it once you get it running the way you want

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha yeah i know. i just hate my d16y7 cause its soo slow to me. i hate bein that guy who says "when i get my new motor put in ill def beat you" lol but when im done, ill prob end up sleeping in my car. i didnt even realise till today that the bumper that came with my car was one of those certi-fit ones cause i got a bumper (with paint on it this time) and it fit like freakin perfectly. just havin a painted front bumper makes my car look so much nicer. the motor mounts are shot too which pisses me off. every time i get money for the new engine parts i gotta go buy someting else to slow down the deterioration of my car

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
now this is confusing me. ive googled lsd's for my s20 tranny and its sayin the s20 already got an lsd. im sooo confused! does it or do i need an aftermarket one???

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
now this is confusing me. ive googled lsd's for my s20 tranny and its sayin the s20 already got an lsd. im sooo confused! does it or do i need an aftermarket one???
it does not have lsd stock.

get an obx one, and take it apartwhen you get it and inspect the internals of it before u install it.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it does not have lsd stock.

get an obx one, and take it apartwhen you get it and inspect the internals of it before u install it.
why obx? i read a review of someone putting one in their friends car and the thing ate up the guys transmission

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I am pretty sure theres a 4 door civic on here being sold with a dohc swap, that guy has a Quaife lsd for sale for d series... right around 500.. good price

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn! i wish i wasnt so broke! ugg itd take me a few months to get that kinda cash. lol i owe my parents so much right now and college aint helpin either. thanks though man

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have an s40 tranny and all I've ever found was the OBX one... with warranty, for that price, I find it a good buy (but still expensive for me at the moment)

Oh, and OP, no need to waste your money on a Skunk2 TB. Simgle cams, unless really modified, dont need anything bigger than a B-series TB, any bigger you're just paying more and might even make you lag. So I'd stick to a B16 TB instead.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have an s40 tranny and all I've ever found was the OBX one... with warranty, for that price, I find it a good buy (but still expensive for me at the moment)

Oh, and OP, no need to waste your money on a Skunk2 TB. Simgle cams, unless really modified, dont need anything bigger than a B-series TB, any bigger you're just paying more and might even make you lag. So I'd stick to a B16 TB instead.
thanks man! no wonder this one guy wanted to sell me the skunk 2 intake manifold and skunk 2 throttle body for 3 hundred. that was prob the reason that he blew up three motors with that thing. lol ill get on the search for a b16 throttle body.