Lug nuts and torque question

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
I have to take off the rear tires tomorrow to put my splash guards on. I've changed tires before and always just gotten the lug nuts as tight as I could and that was it. Do I really need to go by a shop and have them tightened more or have the torque checked like the manual says?

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
75-80lb/ft is it and that is very easy to get to. You are not doing a good thing by doing crazy tight, you can ruin the threads and possibly break a stud.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive done brake services on my own car by taking my wheel off by hand and putting it back by hand. using a breaker bar both times. no torque wrench. as long as u dont go crazy with it and like jump on the bar then ull be fine.

Dough

5+ Year Member
if you got a foot wrench, similar to the one that comes with the spare tire and jack, and put an 80 lb weight on it oyu would have the correct torque right? if the bar was parallel to the ground to begin with?

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its 80 foot pounds of torque (twisting force) not 80 pounds of weight

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dough said:
if you got a foot wrench, similar to the one that comes with the spare tire and jack, and put an 80 lb weight on it oyu would have the correct torque right? if the bar was parallel to the ground to begin with?
05 said:
its 80 pounds of torque (twisting force) not 80 pounds of weight
:rolf:

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
Right on, I just don't want my s**t coming off when I'm driving. I drive at least 150 miles a day for work....and for the record when I had a flat last week I DID use my foot to get it super tight lol. I had the tire replaced and the threads must be fine as they had no problems with it. I'll be more careful tomorrow, thanks for the info.

ludakrishna420

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go to your local schucks or kragens and pick up a torque wrench for $12. Best investment ever.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i really need to start torqueing (sp?) important suspension bolts to spec.. way too reckless with the impact wrench

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forget, but I think humans are capible of 120ft/lbs torque, not sure though, so if you tighten them to the best of your ability, you may be going too tight.

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
ludakrishna420 said:
go to your local schucks or kragens and pick up a torque wrench for $12. Best investment ever.
I have no idea what these places are but I assume you are referencing hardware type stores? :P

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
I forget, but I think humans are capible of 120ft/lbs torque, not sure though, so if you tighten them to the best of your ability, you may be going too tight.
I make more torque then my car?!/!!??! :shock: lol.

anyways. yeah bro be careful on those studs. I broke one of mine. Listen to these guys.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"My lugnuts take more torque than your Honda puts out."

I never get tired of that :laugh:

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
IGotASlowCivic said:
I make more torque then my car?!/!!??! :shock: lol.
HAHAHAHA that's funny. I need a torque wrench as well. I use the foot technique :P

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eran said:
"My lugnuts take more torque than your Honda puts out."

I never get tired of that :laugh:
lol, hell our lug nuts take more torque then our engines make!

nitebeest

5+ Year Member
I think it's time to find someone to stick in my engine so I get that extra 13 lb/ft of torque out of my d16. ;)

nitebeest

5+ Year Member
xposigroovex said:
I have no idea what these places are but I assume you are referencing hardware type stores? :P
They're auto part stores.

And yea I suppose I should probably use my torque wrench more often too, but with the wheels I'll usually just torque them a decent amount with a wrench. Torque wrenching it = better idea though.

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
I got a loan wrench from Auto Zone today but then the damn end of it is so big I had no sockets to fit it so I just tightened it myself but didn't go overboard. Everything seems fine.