Maintenance Schedule 2010 LX

CharlesW

The Rainmaker
Hi.
New member here looking for the factory recommended service/maintenance schedule for my wife's 2010 LX Coupe.
A quick search didn't find me anything so I thought I would ask for directions.=)

My dealer had a list of over $800 worth of scheduled service needed at the 30,000 mile mark.
This was in addition to our regular oil and filter change.
I don't believe them, but since Honda no longer puts that information in the owner's manual, I have no way of knowing what is truly needed.
We have owned a 1995 Prelude, 1999 CRV, 2000 CRV, and 2003 Pilot. All those owner's manuals did have service/maintenance schedules in them.
Some of their comments seemed to border on being outright untruthful so I probably won't be going back.
FWIW, it is the dealer where we purchased the car new.

CharlesW

The Rainmaker
Thanks again!
That still isn't quite what I am looking for.
Does Honda no longer publish a schedule for service and leave this up to dealers and aftermarket companies.
Do you think a vehicle with 30,000 miles on it should need $800 worth of regular maintenance in addition to the oil and filter change? If that is now normal for a Honda, this will be our last one. If I follow the dealer's schedule, I won't be able to afford to drive the car.
Seems strange that the previous 5 didn't need all this service.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From what I can remember off the top of my head, my owners manual looks very similar. By the book, you should be doing a lot of those things every 15/30,000. But you really don't have to. As long as you change the oil/filter on a regular basis, don't drive it like you stole it on a daily basis, and fix things when they go wrong and don't do a hack job, your car should be fine. At most, visually inspect everything...you know? Look at your fluids every now and then, change your oil every 3-5k and do the oil filter too, keep an ear/eye out for anything that may look/sound funny when you drive your car, etc.

I stopped keeping up with Honda's a long time ago so I'm not sure on the build quality of the newer models as opposed to the older models... But I have a 99 EX with 225k miles that still has the original brake fluid, rear drum pads, CV boots, the radiator fluid has only been flushed once, the clutch fluid was also recently completely flushed for the first time ever, clutch was replaced for the first time, I change the oil and filter every 3k with Mobil 1, I service my brakes every other year or so.... Don't neglect your car but at the same time you don't have to be insanely anal about maintenance.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your 2010 is set up with a "Maintenance Minder System". Everytime your little "wrench" comes on, it'll give you a code A or B and a number. A is a basic oil change, and B is an oil change with an inspection. And there are numbers 1 through 6.
1. Tire Rotation
2. Air Filters and drive belt adjustment
3. Transmission Fluid
4. ~100k Service. Spark plugs, timing belt (if applicable), water pump.... etc
5. Coolant replacement
6. Rear diff fluid (which you don't have)
There isn't a mileage service schedule, you just follow what the car tells you. All of this is in your owners manual also.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your 2010 is set up with a "Maintenance Minder System". Everytime your little "wrench" comes on, it'll give you a code A or B and a number. A is a basic oil change, and B is an oil change with an inspection. And there are numbers 1 through 5. There isn't a mileage service schedule, you just follow what the car tells you. All of this is in your owners manual also.
I always wondered what the little wrench meant other than to do something haha. That's dope that they built in the maintenance schedule into the car!

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I always wondered what the little wrench meant other than to do something haha. That's dope that they built in the maintenance schedule into the car!
Yeah it's way nicer because it goes off time interval, mileage and style of driving. So instead of doing a 30k when it's not necessarily needed, the car will know.

CharlesW

The Rainmaker
Your 2010 is set up with a "Maintenance Minder System". Everytime your little "wrench" comes on, it'll give you a code A or B and a number. A is a basic oil change, and B is an oil change with an inspection. And there are numbers 1 through 6.
1. Tire Rotation
2. Air Filters and drive belt adjustment
3. Transmission Fluid
4. ~100k Service. Spark plugs, timing belt (if applicable), water pump.... etc
5. Coolant replacement
6. Rear diff fluid (which you don't have)
There isn't a mileage service schedule, you just follow what the car tells you. All of this is in your owners manual also.
Yes, the Maintenance Minder System is covered in the owner's manual, but........ None of the things you listed came on.
I had the oil/filter changed because the dash indicated 20% oil life remaining. Mileage was about 4,000+ on the oil change so I went ahead and had it done. The car has been serviced at a different Honda dealer because of convenience. I think we will be going back there.
>FWIW, the dealer did say the tire rotation was needed, but it had been less than 3,000 miles since the previous rotation.
>Dealer also told me I needed an alignment although the tires are wearing evenly. When I asked why the alignment was needed, I was told that tire manufacturers recommend you have it done every 15,000miles. I called my tire dealer and asked about recommended 15,000 mile alignments and they cracked up on the phone.
>Dealer told me I needed a new airfilter and when I told them it had been replaced 4,000 miles back, they admitted they hadn't even bothered to look at it.
>Dealer said I needed the brake fluid changed and flushed. 205,000 miles on a CR-V and the closest thing to changing and flushing the brake fluid was sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder and replacing it with new.
>Dealer said I needed the transmission fluid changed and flushed. I have always heard that flushing a Honda transmission is not a good idea so I have never ever done anything other than drain and refill for a lot less than the $188 they quoted me.
> Dealer said front brake pads were over 1/2 worn and recommended $300 worth of new pads and turning the rotors.
Gonna check the brakes myself tomorrow just to be sure they are OK.
Like I said, bad decision on my part to take it there.

Anyway, this has deteriorated into my carping about what is possibly a less than great experience with one dealer.
I will discuss my future service needs with my independent mechanic. He managed to keep the others running for 170,000 to 200,000+ miles so I think he might know what he is doing.
Like a dummy, I thought going to the dealer was a good idea. Maybe not.

Hey, Thanks for the information and letting me vent.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like I said, by the book, you're supposed to be doing those things. That doesn't mean anything at all. They want to make money from you and I would say 75%+ of car owners are completely car illiterate and put too must trust into dealerships.

By the book, my cars maintenance history would probably be "poor" or "fair". But 225k miles in and it still runs great.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, the Maintenance Minder System is covered in the owner's manual, but........ None of the things you listed came on.
I had the oil/filter changed because the dash indicated 20% oil life remaining. Mileage was about 4,000+ on the oil change so I went ahead and had it done. The car has been serviced at a different Honda dealer because of convenience. I think we will be going back there.
>FWIW, the dealer did say the tire rotation was needed, but it had been less than 3,000 miles since the previous rotation.
>Dealer also told me I needed an alignment although the tires are wearing evenly. When I asked why the alignment was needed, I was told that tire manufacturers recommend you have it done every 15,000miles. I called my tire dealer and asked about recommended 15,000 mile alignments and they cracked up on the phone.
>Dealer told me I needed a new airfilter and when I told them it had been replaced 4,000 miles back, they admitted they hadn't even bothered to look at it.
>Dealer said I needed the brake fluid changed and flushed. 205,000 miles on a CR-V and the closest thing to changing and flushing the brake fluid was sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder and replacing it with new.
>Dealer said I needed the transmission fluid changed and flushed. I have always heard that flushing a Honda transmission is not a good idea so I have never ever done anything other than drain and refill for a lot less than the $188 they quoted me.
> Dealer said front brake pads were over 1/2 worn and recommended $300 worth of new pads and turning the rotors.
Gonna check the brakes myself tomorrow just to be sure they are OK.
Like I said, bad decision on my part to take it there.

Anyway, this has deteriorated into my carping about what is possibly a less than great experience with one dealer.
I will discuss my future service needs with my independent mechanic. He managed to keep the others running for 170,000 to 200,000+ miles so I think he might know what he is doing.
Like a dummy, I thought going to the dealer was a good idea. Maybe not.

Hey, Thanks for the information and letting me vent.
That sounds like A LOT like the dealer I used to work for. There's really two kinds of dealerships, ones that are aggressive on "additional recommendations" and others that stay true to Honda. I got let go from an aggressive dealer about 4 months back because I didn't feel comfortable selling services that weren't necessarily needed. I went to school to be a tech so I knew what was right and wrong. Now I work for a dealer in a nicer area, and when I told them what the previous one was doing they were laughing and were happy to bring me aboard. There are good dealerships. You just have to look around. Any Honda dealer that tells you that you need your power steering fluid replaced or you need to clean your fuel injectors frequently, is a dealer in the wrong.
My old dealer recommended an alignment every 15k also, I thought that was garbage. An alignment is recommended once your tire wear is getting uneven.
Transmission fluid should NEVER EVER be flushed. It is simply replaced. You can "burnish" the trans fluid though, which is the process of draining and filling then driving the vehicle around, repeated a couple times. That's the best way to "flush" it. But to force fluid through the valve bodies in there is a bigggg no no. And transmission fluid being done about every 30k is about right.
Well I'm really sorry you had to go through that :???:

Daver90s

Thank you for this thread and for the very informative responses. I too am at about 30k on my '09 si. I took it in for service because the little wrench told me to. I had sticker shock when they wrote up my service order. >$500! When I looked closely at the itemized list of work they would be doing, I saw that most of it I could easily do myself. I had them change the oil and and trans fluid. (not flush...whew) - - I really don't understand how they can look at you with a straight face and ask you to pay $500 + to fix a car that isn't broken. The bill came to $100 for the work done. I feel OK about it but I'll be on guard whenever I go back. The service manager actually showed me how to reset the wrench and put the display back to 100%. Don't need them for oil changes now...because I assumed that you needed a computer to reset. :-)

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you for this thread and for the very informative responses. I too am at about 30k on my '09 si. I took it in for service because the little wrench told me to. I had sticker shock when they wrote up my service order. >$500! When I looked closely at the itemized list of work they would be doing, I saw that most of it I could easily do myself. I had them change the oil and and trans fluid. (not flush...whew) - - I really don't understand how they can look at you with a straight face and ask you to pay $500 + to fix a car that isn't broken. The bill came to $100 for the work done. I feel OK about it but I'll be on guard whenever I go back. The service manager actually showed me how to reset the wrench and put the display back to 100%. Don't need them for oil changes now...because I assumed that you needed a computer to reset. :-)
Well there's two kinds of service advisors: the salesmen and the sympathetic/honest car enthusiasts. I was definitely the latter. It's their job, it's how they make their money. Just like any other salesmen.
But I promise not every dealer is like that!

It's definitely a LOT cheaper doing your own maintenence. :thumbs up

kelsuha

So would you mind sharing with the rest of us how to reset the wrench to 100%? I'd love to know so I don't get ripped off by my dealer every time it comes on needing them to reset it for me...please =)

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So would you mind sharing with the rest of us how to reset the wrench to 100%? I'd love to know so I don't get ripped off by my dealer every time it comes on needing them to reset it for me...please =)
They charge you to reset it?

kelsuha

they only charge for the service, which i suppose is free with my care package oil changes for the next few years. I just never think to ask them when i'm there.