[MauiSI] Family Build - 2008 Civic SI Coupe

justinfetalvero

HatchOwned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey everyone. Stoked to be back here on the forums again after over 10 years! You can read my bio to learn my car progression and see all the cars I previously own. But today, we are going to be talking about my 2008 Civic SI Coupe.

I'll be documenting my journey on things I do to my car. Here's my current goals. I am looking to keep the car fairly stock and lightly modify it. Here's what I mean. I do not want to do any engine mods. I do not want to change the intake, exhaust, or anything regarding what Honda built mechanically. I do want to make sure the car handles and drives good for years to come. With that being said, I will be upgrading the suspension on my car. The shifting experience is another big one for me. I do not want any short shifter as I want to keep things as stock as possible. I will be keeping the stock wheels but do want to get a new set of wheels and tires. Like I said, I want to keep things stock, so I would like to get a real HFP kit and paint matched to my car. Secondary goal if I cannot find the HFP kit, is to install the OEM mudguards. Besides that, my goal is to maintain my car and keep it clean and looking new. Here's my current journey until where we are at today.

Hey everyone! I recently picked up a 2008 Honda Civic SI Coupe for $6500. I initially set out to buy a car because my V8 4Runner is a GAS MONSTER! Since selling my 1998 Integra about 4 years ago, I have regretted it everyday since. I have been wanting to get another car but things were not working out until now.

My plans for this build is to keep things mild. This will be my daily driver and I am a single dad with 2 kids so will need to keep comfort, MPG, and reliability.

Mods for the car:
1st Round:
- Paint red windshield wipers and badges black
Shifter Upgrades (Goal - to keep stock but make it better)
  • SiriMoto Shift Lever Bushing
  • Red Acuity POCO Shift Knob (Looks cool and to shorten throws while keeping stock)
  • Acuity Shifter cable bushings, base bushings, and K Series Transmission Spring
  • NST Short Shift Adapter (Shorten throws even more)
Performance Upgrades (Goal - Keep it stock and make daily driving fun. No sacrifice in low end power.)
  • Hondata FlashPro (Make the stock car drive smoother and more enjoyable)
  • NST 3 Piece Pulley Kit (Free up a little extra HP and get better mileage)
Future Plans:
1. Suspension, Tires, Wheels
  • Koni Oranges with Tein S- Tech Springs
  • Energy Suspension Full Bushing Kit
  • OE Performance 193 2019 Shelby GT350 Replica 18x9 +30 wheels (Have not seen anyone run these on their civic yet and loved them off the Mustang)
  • Tires - ?
2. HFP Muffler (Still keeping stock i/h/e but get a little more sound)

3. DevSport Chin and Side Splitter (More aggressive look)

4. Sounds
  • Double Din Android Head Unit (Use the ATOTO one in my 4Runner and it's awesome)
  • 8-10" Subwoofer in a smaller box (Save space)
  • 1 Set of Component Speakers
  • Coaxial for the rear
  • 4 or 5 Channel Amp
  • Kicker Front Row SP
5. Who knows...

Here's some pictures of the car.

Update #2
Got the car back yesterday. The front is back to stock height and the rear is still dropped so the stance is off. Ordered my koni orange shocks and tein stech drop springs last night. The rides bouncy from the shocks being worn out so this should really help.

I'm also contemplatingreplacing all the bushings with the full energy suspension kit. Anyone got thoughts on that?

I just got my JDM Emblems but not installing on the car as I had the logos and the windshield wipers paint matched. I like the blacked out look.

The SI emblem placement needs to be fixed. Not sure why they put it there but it bugs me.

The center console latch spring is not working and won't stay closed. Got a used latch and spring ordered from ebay to fix it.

The accuity order arrived but I'll need to pick it up later tonight.

Here's how it's sitting now.

Update #3
Update:
Installed the Acuity Poco Shift Knob and Shift Cable Bushings. Definitely huge upgrade! The throws are much shorter with the poco and a little heavier feel from less leverage. This is actually a good thing in my eyes as the extra force needed to shift allows you to make sure you are in gear. It helped a lot with the 3rd gear. No grinds but sometimes it would feel like it wanted to pop out. Now it's eliminated as that issue was from me not fully putting it in gear.

Here's some pics.

A new shift boot is on the list. No pics of the cable bushings as nothing special there. There is a noticeable difference with the new bushings and shifting feels smoother and easier to put into gear.

I also got all my cleaning products in from Amazon. That's been nice. Also got OEM all-weather floor mats. Much better knowing my carpet is protected. Got a weathertech liner for the trunk as well. I also got in my OEM mud guard set. Not sure if I am going to put it on as everything is painted nice and black on the car and not sure if I want any flat black pieces on it. It would be nice to help with keeping the paint nice and clean after a wash though.

The Koni orange shocks arrived and the front camber bolts. The springs and rear camber kit should be here by Monday as well as my sirimoto shifter base bushing kit.

I ordered a magic drift front lip but not sure if I am going to be putting that on as well. I reached out to the paint shop to see if they could paint the lip and possibly the mud guards. Have not gotten a shipping code from MagicDrift so hopefully that gets in soon.

Lastly, I purchased a used Hondata. Someone referred me to someone here on the forums. Sent them the $390 over venmo and now have not heard anything back from the dude. This user referred me to the guy: @bregh . The dudes email is jbabat107@gmail.com. Hopefully these guys are not scammers and hope I either get my FlashPro or my money back.

Oh another update. Removed the silencer from the exhaust. Looks like it is a Megan Racing exhaust. Sounds nice without the silencer and with the silencer. I'm rocking it without the silencer for now as it sounds better and looks better to me.

There's a seller on Facebook Marketplace selling a brand new Mugen Muffler. I may be buying that for $375. Not sure what would sound better on the car. Any thoughts?

justinfetalvero

HatchOwned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Update #4

Update:

So owning this car has been amazing. Loving driving it and how it looks and feels. One thing that came up is a 1996 Acura Integra GSR with 88,000K miles and leather interior in Milano Red. Looks pristine! I may be trading in my 2008 SI for it. What are your guys thoughts?

Here's the Integra GSR: 1996 Used Acura Integra 3dr Sport Coupe GS-R Manual w/Leather at Choice Automotive Serving HONOLULU, HI, IID 20585574

Now onto the updates on the Civic.

Magic Drift cancelled my order on the front lip. That actually works out as if I decide to keep this car my plans also slightly changed. Looking at keeping it as OEM and stock as possible. I also did not install the Mud Guards as I did not want to risk damaging paint as well as I plan on getting the full HFP kit and the Mudguards don't work with it. If anyone is interested let me know. The mud guards are OEM and brand new.

I got fully scammed on the Hondata and lost my $400. So no Hondata and lost out that money that could have went towards a new Hondata. Sad day...

The suspension got fully installed. Got the Koni Orange STRT shocks and struts with Tein S-Tech drop springs. Megan Racing upper control arms, and front camber bolts. Here's my mini review on this setup: I was disappointed. Reading many reviews on this setup led me to believe it would be comfortable, which it is, but no one talks about the bounciness. I think the mixture of the soft progressive springs and the soft Koni Struts and shocks make this setup bouncy to me. At faster speeds it feels good but going 40 and below, especially slow, is way to bouncy for me. I wish I went with a full coil over setup. But that will be later on when I need to change the suspension out. The stance does look really nice though!

I also got a new passenger sun visor. For those of you wondering, the 2008 Civic SI Coupe in Black color for the visor and headliner is called "Clear Gray". Anyway, looks nice and complete now.

I ordered a new slider mechanism to fix the armrest. That will be here today and then I will finally have an armrest that stays closed. Amazing!

I also changed out the super dirty cabin filter with a FRAM brand with Baking soda to help eliminate odors. Car smells a lot better! (Not that it smelled bad. Just smells cleaner)

I also changed out the engine air filter with a brand new OEM filter. I almost went with a Mishimoto SRI with head shield but decided not to to keep the car as stock as possible.

I did not get the Mugen SI Axle Back but will be as then the entire engine and exhaust will be back to OEM.

The Acuity Shifter base bushings have also been installed and the shifter felt Nice after that.

The biggest change to shifting was changing the transmission fluid. I went with Royal Purple Synchromesh. Shift SO GOOD!!! I highly recommend it!

Luckily for me, my VIN was not part of the cars with the 3rd gear grind as well!

Here's the next plans on the list:

1. Install Hybrid Racing Gear Selector and Detent Springs to make the shifter stiffer.
  2. Install Hybrid Racing Clutch Master Cylinder and Clutch Slave kit.
  3. Install Mugen Axle Back.
  4. Reposition SI Logo on the trunk.
  5. Change out ALL interior and exterior lights to LED bulbs.
  6. Install custom Shift boot, Center console, and door armrest to Black Napa Leather with dark red stitching.
  7. Order custom black blankets with red stitching for my kids. (They always keep a blanket each in the car and need it to match the look of the interior haha!)
Thanks for following the build! Here's some pics of everything.

Update #5
Back with another update!

2 weeks passed since I was able to wash my car due to the weather, and I finally got around to it.

I picked up 2 of the Chemical Guys car washing kits from Wal-Mart. It comes with a bucket, dirt trap, microfiber wash-mit, a seat/cover for the bucket, car wash soap, wheel and tire cleaner, and an interior dressing. I mostly wanted the buckets, dirt trap, and the wash-mit. So all the soap and dressing was a bonus!

I also picked up a Water Hose Nozzle, Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic detailer and wax, and a couple microfiber drying towels.

The Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax is amazing! I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to wax their car and get the added benefits of ceramic, quickly and easily. You just spray it on after you wash your car and then rinse it off.

Here's links if anyone is interested:

Here's my car wash process. Not sure if this is the best but here's what I do.

1. Rinse car with water.
  2. Wash car with soapy water (while keeping all panels wet.)
  3. Rinse
  4. Spray on Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax
  5. Rinse Off
  6. Dry with Microfiber Drying Towels
  7. Prep panel with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Detailer
  8. Wax with Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax
  9. Buff Wax Off
  10. Done
I wash my car once a week and hopefully that will keep the paint looking good for years to come!

I also got to detail the interior of the car. I do detail the inside once a week as well. I like my car to feel new at all times and keeping the inside clean keeps it smelling nice!

Here's some pics of how the car came out after the wash and wax.

I'm stoked to have finally gotten the armrest slider mechanism in. It took a while for shipping but it finally arrived. I should be installing that later today...and FINALLY will have an armrest!

Since this is used car, I figured it would be best to change all the fluids in the car. Another member recommended I switch my MTF to Amsoil. Well, I went all in and ordered all Amsoil fluids for my car. Here's what I got.

1. Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil - Got 2 Gallons and 2 Qts. for 2 oil changes.
  2. 6 Bottles of Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 - Got 6 so I have enough for 3 transmission fluid changes.
  3. Amsoil DOT 3 and DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid
  4. AMSOIL Oil Filters
  5. Amsoil Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant
In my research I have only found good things about Amsoil. Also, a lot people do testing between oils and Amsoil seems to come out on top. My goal here is to keep my car performing as best as possible and keep the motor and other components in the best shape possible as well.

Here's a link to all the Amsoil products I purchased for an 8th Gen Civic SI - 2008 Honda CIVIC (2.0L 4 -cyl Engine Code K20Z3 Z) Motor Oil, Filters and Lubricants - AMSOIL

Here's another link to more information on the fluids in the 8th Gen Civic SI - 2008 Honda CIVIC 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code K20Z3 - AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

Right now on order I have some 3M Pant Protectant Vinyl coming in with the installation tools. I have my set of OEM Mudguads and I have been wanting to put them on the car without ruining the paint. I am going to attempt to cut out a piece of clear vinyl and put it on the car where the Mudguards make contact with the paint. This way I can install them without ruining/scratching the paint. This will be an exciting project as not only will it look good on the car, it will stop more of the dirt from coming off the tires and onto the bottom corners of the paint.

Lastly for my most exciting update!

As you have read in my previous posts, I have recently installed Koni STRT (Orange) struts and shocks with Tein S.Tech Drop springs. I have not been happy with this setup as it is a little bouncy to me and I believe it is due to the softness of the springs with the softness of the Koni shocks. I thought they would be different based on other reviews but I was not happy with the way the car drove with it. The car had less bounce to it when I had the previous setup with blown out OEM dampers.

I ordered a set of fully adjustable coilovers that should be arriving soon!

Now I was trying to figure out which direction I wanted to go with the brand of coilovers I bought. I wanted something that was not going to break the bank, but still provide a good product for the value. I also wanted to test out a brand that I have not seen anyone run on their cars, so I went with a set of coilovers from maxpeedingrods.com.

Here's a product image (I did not get them in yet)

These coilovers are a steal at only $312.00 plus $238.24 shipping to Hawaii. That's only $550.24 shipped to my door! I really hope these perform and handle well.

I'll be writing up a full review for everyone with an install guide as I think these are priced amazingly.

These coilovers have 24 levels of dampening adjustment and can lower the car to around 2.5 inches. They also come with adjustable camber plates. Here's the spring rates for them.

• Front spring rate: 7 kg/mm (392 in/lbs)
  • Rear spring rate: 6 kg/mm (336 in/lbs)
Once I get these in I will be installing on the car and lowering the height from where it sits not to a flush or very minor tuck stance. I'm so excited to see how these perform.

My TPMS light is the only light that is on in the car and figured something must be wrong with the TPMS sensors. I picked up a set of 4 TPMS sensors from Maxpeedingrods.com as well to fix that. And priced at $40.00 you can't go wrong! Hopefully that fixes the issue and it's not something else with the TPMS system.

Lastly, I am not sure when I will get around to it, but I will be installing LED lights in the interior foot wells of the car and under the seats for the back foot wells. My plan is to cleanly install these where you cannot see any of the LED strips or wiring. I also want to install in a way where it would be easy to remove in the future as my goal is to keep the car as stock as possible. I'm waiting on my Fuse Taps to come in so I can properly tap into the cars electrical system instead of powering it through the 12V port.

I also want to start making videos and recording the build so here's short clip of the car after the fresh wash and wax. (Excuse the mess in the corner of my garage. Lots of parts from my brother's motor swap in his 1995 Toyota Tacoma and my sisters 1996 Toyota 4Runner)

I also have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited with the V8 motor. This past weekend did a lot of maintenance on it. Changed the water pump and timing belt, new radiator, new sensors, new belts, new hoses, new oil, and a bunch of other parts. That car has 280,000 miles on it so hopefully it funs for another 150,000 miles! Got no pictures of my 4Runner at the moment but let me know if anyone is interested in seeing it. It is stock besides the 3 inch lift, mud tires, Android Touchscreen stereo and component speakers, sub woofer, and a flowmaster muffler.

Thanks for tuning in and until next time!