Misfires on a D16Y7

SmokedOutVato

I have a stock 98 D16Y7 and it's been having misfire issues (P0301and P0300). I put a new distributor, plugs, cables, fuel filter and everything was fine for about a month but then the codes started coming back. It's always cylinder 1 that gets the misfire so I tried swapping the injectors and the misfire stayed on cylinder 1. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to a shop and they diagnosed a faulty coil and did a valve adjustment but it didn't fix the problem. They said the compression tested good on allcylinders and they recommended replacing the injectors.

The car has 217k on the original engine and trans (auto) and I haven't had any major issues with it. Sometimes the idle will drop to 300-500 while I'm at a stop but it's never stalled on me and the idle will go back to normal after another stop or two. When the idle drops I've noticed that the transmission will shift a bit erratically sometimes. I've never noticed shifting issues when it's idling normal. Gas mileage is kinda shitty. Sometimes the CEL will turn off on the dash.

I'm beginning to think that it's a computer problem. Is there anyway to test the ecu? The only methods I've seen are either swapping it out with a working unit or testing it with a multimeter. Any suggestions?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm beginning to think that it's a computer problem. Is there anyway to test the ecu? The only methods I've seen are either swapping it out with a working unit or testing it with a multimeter. Any suggestions?
Try testing ECU, then report back.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you checked the timing?