Misfiring

stumason01

Hi I'm new to this forum but got recommended by a friend.

My honda civic coupe 96 1.6LS has been misfiring for some time now, i have taken it to the garage a few times the things i have had replaced are.
Spark plugs and leads
Distributor cap
A coil of some sort
Oil changed and new oil and air filters

But it hasn't seemed to solved the problem, i got told that if i get a fuel filter this may solve the problem but im not sure.
When the car is idling at traffic lights the revs drop then shoot up to 2000rpm then drops to 1000rpm but this is starting to annoy me as the car does it also when im driving

Can anyone give me some advice as what it could be or if anyone has had this problem.
Thank you

reichbc

"Brandon"
Spark plugs hooked up to the distributor in the correct order?

reichbc

"Brandon"
Yes all put in correctly
I want to say check your timing but I'm not going to lead you down a road I'm not sure about.

I could throw out the idea of an intake leak too. Your IACV could probably be trying to compensate for an excess amount of air getting into the engine. Double check your throttle body gasket and throttle plate bolts, make sure they're tight. Also make sure your IACV is snugged down.

Anyone else have any ideas?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want to say check your timing but I'm not going to lead you down a road I'm not sure about.

I could throw out the idea of an intake leak too. Your IACV could probably be trying to compensate for an excess amount of air getting into the engine. Double check your throttle body gasket and throttle plate bolts, make sure they're tight. Also make sure your IACV is snugged down.

Anyone else have any ideas?
what he said is pretty good.
vacume leak could be a possibility. also the TPS sensor can cause a jumpy idle.

perez7504

If your car is misfiring then its not running on all 4 cylinders as it should.It can be one of 4 things. Either a vacuum leak, dirty or malfuntioning fuel injectors, ignition timing is set incorrectly or loss of compression in one of your cylinders. Vacuum leaks are known to cause engine misfires and crazy idle surges.A dirty iacv valve also will cause idle surges . Start by getting yourself a can of starting fluid and spray it around the throttle body and any hoses around it. If u notice a change in idle that would be a vacuum leak.

Check and see if all your fuel injectors are working properly with a mechanic. They will definetly cause misfires and idle problems.

If u changed your cap and rotor make sure your ignition timing has been set correctly if not u will have misfires like crazy!

Lastly test compression in each of your cylinders

stumason01

I heard that the distributor has problems on this model, should i try getting one? and where is the cheapest place for them?

stumason01

I heard that the distributor has problems on this model, should i try getting one? and where is the cheapest place for them?
it only happens if i change gear below 3000 rpm now

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You only need 1 thread. No need for multiple threads.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
eh i would go with cheapest thing first, i would check for leaks first. if you want a cheap distributor pick a used one up for like 100 dollars or if you want a new one be sure to get one with a lifetime warranty from like autozone or something. do you know how to check for leaks?