Monster spark plugs , cannot remove

Jvazquez707

I recently purchased a 92 civic dx 1.5 non vetch . I was doing some basic maintenance and when I went to change the spark plugs I wasn't able to remove them or even put the socket around it. I looked down in the hole t and it looks like someone put big spark plugs and then put the head on. I can't figure out how to remove them or why anyone would put plugs not meant for that car. The normal spark plug socket won't fit and the plugs look like they barley fit. My question is has anyone else stumbled onto this or similar? Can someone please help.

How can some1 fit or remove sizes: 13/16 in or 3/4 on a d15b7

Last edited by a moderator:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
IIRC, 5/8 is the standard size for like 95% of all spark plugs

There is no way someone stuffed a larger plug in there, If you cant fit the socket down in there how do you suppose someone else did.

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
try using a bigger deep socket............. I mean if it doesnt fit into the socket its the wrong size

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Unless they used a thin walled socket, I don't see how someone got it in there. I would think a plug with any than a 5/8 hex wouldn't fit period, like not even thread into it. IDK about k series, but I would s**t if B and D series have different plug sizes. I have about 6 pairs of NGKs in my tool box, that I used on my d series and my b series cars, they are all the same 5/8 size.

Jvazquez707

It's not a 5/8th for sure..So how would I remove the plugs? No socket fits.. Remove head?:roll: And try and removed from bottom? Is that even possible or is it not worth fixing, who knos how long the plugs been in there. I've never done any engine internal work so I'm worried. I'm new here and im tryn get some help

Last edited by a moderator:

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
id say try a 3/4 socket they do fit inside the spark plug sleeve I think they do anyways, ha. so I mean yeah worth a shot. if that fails pull the head off and drill them out and redo the head gasket

Kenneth

5+ Year Member
There's no way I'd pull a perfectly good head, just to get the plugs out! Someone put em in with a wrench, right? Gotta get them bad boys out the same way. Thin wall wrench? Maybe, but I think it's unlikely the plug size is different. I'm not saying it's impossible, just unlikely. More likely they're the same size wrench, just fat body plugs, or something. Hell, I'd take it to a mechanic before I'd pull the head! I say try again using the thinnest socket you can find.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just take it to a mechanic, who has an abundance of tools on hand and can hopefully help you out. If he can get them out without needing to pull the head I'm sure it wouldn't cost very much at all. And you'd save a ton of time and frustration lol.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just take it to a mechanic, who has an abundance of tools on hand and can hopefully help you out. If he can get them out without needing to pull the head I'm sure it wouldn't cost very much at all. And you'd save a ton of time and frustration lol.
This.

Those plugs look really friggin close to the sidewall. How in the hell.. never seen plugs like that before. Very strange.

btk2334

definitely dont remove the head, it wont help, spark plugs are only installed from the top, unless you were gunna drill em out and remachine the threads it wouldnt help no matter what. There is a larger sized spark plug for like big trucks and maybe some diesels but like most people said almost all automotive spark plugs are the same size, that just seems like somebody forced something into a spot it doesnt belong. To be honest I dont know when you bought the car or who from, but something isnt right.

Jvazquez707

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up using needle nose pliers and vice grips to press the needle nose tightly around the top if the spark plug. Took me a while but there finally out. Can any1 ID these plugs that where in there? Still don't understand why anyone would do this.

alexbartlett93

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up using needle nose pliers and vice grips to press the needle nose tightly around the top if the spark plug. Took me a while but there finally out. Can any1 ID these plugs that where in there? Still don't understand why anyone would do this.
What kind of plugs are they, is there any names/numbers on them? I can cross reference them when i go into work this week if you still haven't found out the plugs. Just throw some ngks in there lol. Maybe they stripped out the threads and had to put a helicoil in or something