motor has no block stamp...or compression

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
umm question....dad was talking to me an he got a 89 civic hatch in today at the junk yard, body is eh ok shape, load of bondo on it tho... but its swapped with an unknown motor. it dohc an vtec for sure...but there's no code stamped on the block. sitting on hasport mount kit...header and cable lsd tranny. since he runs the junk yard, I get first takes on anything that comes in there.

problem is that it does not have compression... maybe possible broken t-belt im thinking...but I dont know what motor it is. ill have pics up tomorrow when I go take a look at it....

in the mean time...any suggestions on why it doesn't have a code?? and what would you do?? pull everything and inspect then rebuild, then sell....or keep???

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like time for a cage drag crx or something...

ragedeep

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well how do you know for sure its a dohc vtec? if you know that, whats the worst dohc vtec it could be? id rebuild depending on costs, does it have any codes on the timing belt cover?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like a big headache.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well how do you know for sure its a dohc vtec? if you know that, whats the worst dohc vtec it could be? id rebuild depending on costs, does it have any codes on the timing belt cover?
vtec solenoid on the head...and well dohc...duh.

but there's nothing on the motor at all....no code..no serial number. from just dad discribing it the intake is short an almost straight out from the head...like the type r's are. im unsure if its obd 0 or 1. like I said ill get pics an a better look tomorrow morning.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Id start with the code on the head. Check for a vin tag on the backside of the block. Seeming theres no block stamp, Im gonna assume the vin tag is gone too. Check the back of the intake manifold, serial on the dizzy, ect. If you have to, tear it apart and measure the bore, stroke, cams, ect. Theres tons of ways to figure out what motor it is. Im guessing either a B16a, or a B18c, b/c of it being a CRX, and those being the most popular motot swapped into that car.

Damn...I wish my dad ran a junkyard so I could get some free engines....

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds to me like the engine is from 86-87 Integra - D16A1 which is DOHC but is not VTEC - 113hp - the part you see on the head in front of the distributor is the Cylinder Sensor

the 86-87 D16A1 doesn't have the engine code on the front of the block - it is on the top rear next to the starter, like this:

the 86-87 Integra D16A1 looks like this:

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pictures and I will know right off the bat what it is.
well.... can't upload a pic til later. but there's quite a few things, well odd bout this motor. my dad thought it was a vtec, which I thought he knew it had a solenoid. no he was just going from what the v/c said (which is a chrome after market one).

soooo ill discribe the oddities...
1. it has a pvc valve coming out of the top of the v/c (just after #2 cylinder and before #3).

2. the intake manifold has some weird ass sensor that is bolted to the top of the intake plennum chamber. (vacume line comes out an disappears down the intake side of the block)

3. the dizzy has 2 wires coming out of the top of it, right where the cap meets dizzy. (besides the normal wires.)

my guess would be a B18A or a b20b that's been back dated. i looked online for hours last night to find a pic that most closely matches the pic i have... and couldn't.
cams are turning so its not a broken belt. possibly ignition problem. but I s**t you not, this thing has got one hell of an extremely strong smell of ether. I mean extremely strong. so either was which ever it is I plan on keeping it an getting it to fire, before I make a decision to either sell or keep.

ill get a pic up in a couple of hours

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
should point out that the block code stamping has been ground off or purposely removed

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
previously stolen?
possibly, but it doesn't matter now. it the junk yards property, regardless. which in turn becomes mine...lol.
here's my thoughts on this. he put on a chrome vtec v/c, oviously its not a vtec motor. so I was probably guessing that they ground/sanded the code off so he could be like "yeah that vtec" kind of crap.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

there ya go....see im leaning towards b18 ls motor. unless you can use the ls intake mani on a b20 and backdate everything to run.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dosent look like a Vtec head. Valve cover isnt deep enough where the spark plugs go (where the cams are on the valve cover dosent come up enough). Looks like a B18a/b motor. Whats the P# code on the back side of the intake manifold? Its stamped onto it near the brake booster.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dosent look like a Vtec head. Valve cover isnt deep enough where the spark plugs go (where the cams are on the valve cover dosent come up enough). Looks like a B18a/b motor. Whats the P# code on the back side of the intake manifold? Its stamped onto it near the brake booster.
all the stamps or markings on the block are gone....

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To me, it looks like either a B18a/b, or a B20. Could be a combination of a B18a/b and a B20. Theres no markings on the head either?

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Its an obd2 b18b1 motor, The purge cut solenoid valve is on top of the intake manifold. They made those fake dohc valve covers and I think OBX sold them earlier in the 2000's like when "2 fast 2 furious" came out to make the ricers feel cool. It could be worth something to you if you want an Ls. But it is definately not vtec.